Too early to predict WCWS Champion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have to disagree (with James). Oklahoma has played something like 2 top 20 teams in the last 45 games.

They lost 3 of those 5 games.

Last edited:
May 8, 2013
I vote for Oregon - 1) because my daughter loves the team (and Geri Ann Glasco) and 2) because I am a girl and I love their slick uniforms.
<feel free to flame me if you want> :cool:

Feb 7, 2013
I say NO to Oregon...I like 'em...l don't think they have the pitching depth

Does pitching depth really matter in the Super Regionals or WCWS? Seems to me all the teams that have won it all recently have rode their #1 to victory. Think Meg Langenfeld, Hannah Rogers, and Keilani Ricketts.

To the point about Ally Carda getting called for IPs in the NCAA tournament. I don't think she will be called much for her "skippies" because from the side where the base umpire is it doesn't look too bad (and that is where all the IPs come from) Arizona's freshman pitcher was lifting her toe up and off the ground (where Carda's is toe down) and it looks a lot worse from the side than Carda's. Not saying that Carda's isn't technically an IP, I just think it's not as obvious from the side and the plate umpire will never call it from his/her vantage point from straight on. We will see...

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I don't think they'll win, but Oklahoma absolutely needs to be in this conversation

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind this ^^^^?

My Tigers are hitting a rough patch at the wrong time. They need to get the ship righted in the next week if they want to remain a contender.
If not LSU, then Haeger steps up and leads the Gators to back to back Championships.

May 31, 2012
Gators have beaten hawkins twice this season. Mizzou is hot. Lsu is slipping. Never count bama out. CAN'T WAIT. GO GATORS.

Feb 7, 2013
I dunno.
Gascoigne was a pretty solid 'Plan B'.

they didnt HAVE to use her much in the series that year,
but when they did she was pretty dang awesome.

The point is that depth of pitching is not as important if you have one elite pitcher. The winning WCWS team will be the one that has a Top 5 pitcher in the nation. The backups are primarily irrelevant at the WCWS.

May 31, 2012
Gators have beaten hawkins twice this season. Mizzou is hot. Lsu is slipping. Never count bama out. CAN'T WAIT. GO GATORS.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The point is that depth of pitching is not as important if you have one elite pitcher. The winning WCWS team will be the one that has a Top 5 pitcher in the nation. The backups are primarily irrelevant at the WCWS.

Tell that to Kentucky...Nunley was doing great last year until she wasn't, a good second pitcher is not needed until she is, and then she is worth her weight in gold. Also, pitchers have bad outings. This is where Florida has the edge. They have three really good pitchers that compliment each other well. I hate them because of that BS crowd the plate and get hit by a strike stuff they pull but they have the best pitching staff in the nation.

I also think Gasciogne's role in Rickett's success is overlooked. It's like having a big bat behind your biggest bat to protect them. Teams typically saw both of them in 2013 so it kept them off balance. Wasn't Gasciogne pitching in the clincher that year?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez