Too early to predict WCWS Champion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
I also think Gasciogne's role in Rickett's success is overlooked. It's like having a big bat behind your biggest bat to protect them. Teams typically saw both of them in 2013 so it kept them off balance. Wasn't Gasciogne pitching in the clincher that year?
Michelle Gascoigne pitched the entire 2nd game in the finals when OU won the championship. I totally agree her role was/is overlooked. MG's stats were comparable to KR's, so OU was just as strong with MG in the circle and that allowed KR to stay fresh through the regular season and tournament. The combination was definitely stronger than the sum of the two parts.

Feb 7, 2013
Tell that to Kentucky...Nunley was doing great last year until she wasn't?

Kentucky last year is no Oregon this year. You live and die at the WCWS with an elite #1 pitcher.

By the way, today just saw Ally Carda shutdown the number #1 hitting team in the nation. UCLA has to be in the conversation before Oklahoma. She's the real deal. Bats #3, and has to come in when their #2 and #3 can't get it done. Something very special about the competitive nature of this senior.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Does pitching depth really matter in the Super Regionals or WCWS? Seems to me all the teams that have won it all recently have rode their #1 to victory. Think Meg Langenfeld, Hannah Rogers, and Keilani Ricketts.

Your point is certainly valid...

I think depth matters - I'm not saying it's the be all end all but just looking at the last 2 years, here's my evidence as to why I think it is becoming more and more important as the bats are hot and the strike zone shrinks...

Ricketts had Gascoigne as a solid backup (Michele had the nation's lowest ERA 2 years ago and actually won the championship game over Tennessee). Tennessee's success that year was part and parcel because they had both Renfroe sisters throwing well...

Traina got roughed up by Florida last year...in game 1 and game 2...'Bama answered with Littlejohn too late though...I wonder how many times last year Traina pitched against Florida over the last 2 seasons? If you keep seeing the same pitcher, you will eventually catch up with them...

Conversely, Florida used Gourley, Haeger and then closed with Rogers to win game 2 and the WCWS last year...I thought that was a nice strategy by Walton to keep 'Bama off balance...now with Rodgers gone and Florida having Gourley, Haeger and Ocasio they potentially could use a similar strategy...

If Hawkins gets roughed up...where can the Ducks turn? The last time I saw Glasco pitched, she walked the first 3 batters of the game...

CP

Dec 20, 2012
Does pitching depth really matter in the Super Regionals or WCWS? Seems to me all the teams that have won it all recently have rode their #1 to victory. Think Meg Langenfeld, Hannah Rogers, and Keilani Ricketts.

To the point about Ally Carda getting called for IPs in the NCAA tournament. I don't think she will be called much for her "skippies" because from the side where the base umpire is it doesn't look too bad (and that is where all the IPs come from) Arizona's freshman pitcher was lifting her toe up and off the ground (where Carda's is toe down) and it looks a lot worse from the side than Carda's. Not saying that Carda's isn't technically an IP, I just think it's not as obvious from the side and the plate umpire will never call it from his/her vantage point from straight on. We will see...

I agree with you that a dominant #1 is more important that the depth of staff. But Ricketts had Gascoigne, she bailed out Ricketts more than once in the regular season.

Dec 20, 2012
I feel sick saying this but the Gators should be the favorite as of now. That being said Oregon has the best #1 in the game and the offense to get them by if Glasco or Hov happen to struggle. There were self inflicted wounds in both outings against the Gators earlier this season, something that has to be overcome if they expect to win it all. LSU seems to have peaked a little early this year, going 5-5 in the last 10 games. Auburn and Alabama are both scary as hell. Mizzou is playing well right now but have proven to be vulnerable to sub par teams; Georgia and Tennessee. Michigan and FSU haven't played a quality opponent in a month with exception of FSU vs Florida.. ULL probably doesn't belong in the discussion IMO. UCLA is peaking at the right time. Outside the top 10 Oklahoma seems to be the team that COULD go on a run. JMO

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Gators-Ducks-UCLA-Oklahoma

I really think the winner is one of these teams. I don't know which one but they are the most complete IMO and none have glaring faults like AZs and Auburns pitching.

Jun 7, 2013
All points duly noted. However, what makes the WCWS exciting is that any of the team mentioned can end up being number one!

Dec 7, 2011
Florida looks invincible. It is Haeger's year. She has more will-power that most entire teams.....

Note though from watching Florida/Mizzou - It was neat to see Mizzou look for and hammer the riseball. It seems that they are the only team with some focus on that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez