Too early to predict WCWS Champion?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The point is that depth of pitching is not as important if you have one elite pitcher. The winning WCWS team will be the one that has a Top 5 pitcher in the nation. The backups are primarily irrelevant at the WCWS.

Totally disagree.

Yes, one of the WCWS teams will likely have a top 5 quality pitcher, however they will also have a top 20 quality pitcher who saves her b**t at least once at some stage.

And if you don't get that you either kill your pitcher (I don't think Nunley has recovered from last years abuse) until she is left with nothing in the tank and the hitters start smacking her around or you just don't make it.

Feb 7, 2013
Totally disagree.

Yes, one of the WCWS teams will likely have a top 5 quality pitcher, however they will also have a top 20 quality pitcher who saves her b**t at least once at some stage.

Having a Top 5 pitcher is vastly more important than depth of pitching in the NCAA tournament. It's double elimination in bracket play and best 2 of 3 in championship play so even if your #1 pitcher has a bad day, they can still advance. Look at Arizona St. in 2011. They pitched Dallas Escobedo in every single inning in every game in the tournament. Guess what, they won the WCWS that year without ever once going to their bullpen.

Dec 7, 2011
Having a Top 5 pitcher is vastly more important than depth of pitching in the NCAA tournament. It's double elimination in bracket play and best 2 of 3 in championship play so even if your #1 pitcher has a bad day, they can still advance. Look at Arizona St. in 2011. They pitched Dallas Escobedo in every single inning in every game in the tournament. Guess what, they won the WCWS that year without ever once going to their bullpen.

I would dare to say that more teams have protected their #1 moreso this year than in the past. Meaning that more of the top pitchers are going to be more "fresh" into the playoffs allowing them to potentially go all the way without breaking down or needing a break.

Apr 1, 2010
I love Mizzou and they are getting hot at the right time. I'd like to see them all the way, but ultimately I don't think they have quite enough firepower. (I see them getting knocked out in the quarter finals. I'd love to be wrong) I expect it to probably be Florida in the end, but LSU or Auburn or even Alabama, Georgia or Tennessee wouldn't surprise me too much.

I could be wrong this year, but IMO the PAC 12 and Big 10 schools seem to just wilt when they come up against the heat and humidity in Oklahoma. The SEC teams are all well acclimated to heat and humidity AND they've all been tested in a wicked dog-fight of a conference all season. I'm definitely betting on an SEC school taking it all. JMO.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I don't know why Oklahoma is getting left off of so many lists. That lineup is deadly and their pitching is getting better every day. I would pick them over Georgia, Auburn and Alabama by a good amount.

Dec 20, 2012
I love Mizzou and they are getting hot at the right time. I'd like to see them all the way, but ultimately I don't think they have quite enough firepower. (I see them getting knocked out in the quarter finals. I'd love to be wrong) I expect it to probably be Florida in the end, but LSU or Auburn or even Alabama, Georgia or Tennessee wouldn't surprise me too much.

I could be wrong this year, but IMO the PAC 12 and Big 10 schools seem to just wilt when they come up against the heat and humidity in Oklahoma. The SEC teams are all well acclimated to heat and humidity AND they've all been tested in a wicked dog-fight of a conference all season. I'm definitely betting on an SEC school taking it all. JMO.

Now that the renovations are taking place and they have A/C on the fields it should not be a concern. Every game should be 72F.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I don't know why Oklahoma is getting left off of so many lists. That lineup is deadly and their pitching is getting better every day. I would pick them over Georgia, Auburn and Alabama by a good amount.

Sorry... I see now "by a good amount" I was thinking for a.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Why don't we weigh in once the NCAA releases the brackets? If JJSqueeze still has the Chamberlain HR Pool prizes (old sunflower seeds and a bottle of fermented Gatorade), maybe he'll bestow them on the winner...

Feb 7, 2013
I could be wrong this year, but IMO the PAC 12 and Big 10 schools seem to just wilt when they come up against the heat and humidity in Oklahoma.

Yeah, you are probably right since the Pac-12 has only won the last 20 of 25 WCWS championships when hosted in Oklahoma City since 1990 :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298