Time for a reality check on IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hmmmmmm........I guess it all depends on your definition of whip........In my definition, a whip ONLY occurs when something is pulled into/around a corner, vs. pushed into/around a corner.........

My definition may not be accurate.......But this is what I feel is the difference is between a push and a pull..........

One starts in front of the energy source........One starts BEHIND the energy source.......Utilizing the transfer of kinetic energy into/around the corner.........

catapultmangonelanimated.gif
catapultonageranimated.gif

Nice visual BM.....but being a history guy as well as a bucket-dad....wouldn't a trebuchet have been more appropriate?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It would be enlightening for us to know what she taught that you didn't agree with Ken........

We only had one session and I made it a point to keep my mouth closed as much as possible. She teaches a flat circle as an absolute. Her progression though a lesson was also different than I would go. (With a new kid, I like to look at the mechanics of her whip before anything else. I also like to take some slow-mo video since I can’t see stuff as well as you and others.) She went right into drop spin, which is something DD actually needs to work on. Differences aside, the overall experience was well worth the time and she can't wait to see her again in summer.

It would also be enlightening for us to hear what (if anything) Rick changed........

With Pauly, she attributed points of resistance, including brush. I think she mentioned a couple other points, but I don't recall specifics. She also talked about his ability to instill confidence and credits him for helping her make it to the level she’s at today.

She also mentioned that if she could go back and do it over, she would have started out with FFS.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hmmmmmm........I guess it all depends on your definition of whip........In my definition, a whip ONLY occurs when something is pulled into/around a corner, vs. pushed into/around a corner.........

My definition may not be accurate.......But this is what I feel is the difference is between a push and a pull..........

One starts in front of the energy source........One starts BEHIND the energy source.......Utilizing the transfer of kinetic energy into/around the corner.........

I love those gif.s!

I’m thinking of the folks that advocate for leading with the elbow and the palm facing forward throughout release (many add the wrist snap.) I call this “whip” because the lower arm is pulled and takes the energy from the upper arm, accelerating through release. My perception is that many believe this is the only way to throw a peel.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Nice visual BM.....but being a history guy as well as a bucket-dad....wouldn't a trebuchet have been more appropriate?

I'd venture to say that no catapult/trebuchet can accurately emulate whip with IR. A golf swing is the closest I can think of that uses IR, whip and lag.

I'd venture to say that no catapult/trebuchet can accurately emulate whip with IR. A golf swing is the closest I can think of that uses IR, whip and lag.

I know what your saying Ken...I only thought the trebuchet was closer to emulating the whip that occurs from the forarm down by the way it is constructed..This all I will say on the matter as we do n ot need this thread turning into a debate about ancient and medieval weaponry....LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877