Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
I had this discussion with my father (CatchingCoach) years ago and I was insistant on taking it off. I told him that I had never seen an MLB catcher leave it on! He kept telling me "son, just go out and try it." I was a two-piece guy for my entire career and would never think of leaving the mask on, hockey-style or not.

One day we got into a heated discussion about this play and we agreed that I would go out to the field the next morning, and field a few pop-ups with the mask on. Before we could ever get to that experiment, I was watching a Phillies Vs. Cardinals game and proceeded to watch Carlos Ruiz and Yadier Molina both field two sky-high pop-ups with their masks on. My father just leaned over and grinned.

While we were at the field the next day he asked me "Jay, you love hockey, right? Well have you ever seen a shot from the blue line deflect straight up into the air? And did the goalie then feel the need to take his mask off?!?!" We laughed, but the point was made.

IMHO, you do NOT need to take it off. If you've never understood how this might be possible, head out to a field and have someone throw a bunch of balls into the air for you with your mask on. You WILL be able to track and follow the balls path and set yourself up to make a clean play.

The other issue at play here is that in the girls game, "Sky-High" pop-ups are limited. Most of the pop-ups are dinks and dunks behind the catcher. The girls simply don't have time to take it off. They need to get into a position to make the play quickly and their view is NOT impeded by these newly engineered masks.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Another Good Reason To Leave the Mask On...

You never know when the ball will take a bad hop!

attachment.php

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
New team, first games, and sure enough, other catcher throws her helmet off for every play at the plate.

Coaches do not espouse this, but they don't say anything either. Dad is not approachable, but I heard him mention that the helmet had "seen a lot of action at the plate". It did see a lot of action in the dirt behind the plate, however.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
In working with both boys and girls, it amazes me how many coaches and parents want to see the catcher remove their mask with a live ball in play. The most common report from our catchers and their families is that a well-meaning parent, coach or assistant coach on the team will call out to get that mask off on pop-ups or even when the ball is hit and runners trying to score.

There are too many examples out there of catchers getting injured. Please encourage your catcher to keep their mask on. There are more and more excellent examples of plays that can be made with the mask on and the catcher staying safe.

Below, catcher Alex Schultz (Maryland Terrapins) makes a diving catch behind the plate for an out in the 6th inning of Maryland's 4-3 victory in game 1 of a double-header against Boston College without taking her mask off.

2009_04_18_umd_softball_bostoncollege_game1_lead.jpg

Remember though, just like any other skill in the game, catching pop ups with the mask on takes some practice. The mask must be a good fit and not too loose. With a little practice, your catcher will be amazed at what they can accomplish with their mask on.
-Chaz @ ACC

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I think I've seen very few masks dropped lately. With the advent of the new full view (hockey style) masks, there is no need to take them off. I understand that many people still use the old style but I would still recommend that they leave them on no matter what. I have even gone so far as buying a full-view for one of my catchers so she would at least try it and see how she likes it. Her Dad has since bought it from me. I don't allow my catchers to take them off nor are my players allowed on the field without facemasks or allowed to bat without helmets...even in practice.

Sep 14, 2009
My DD very rarely takes hers off. We have another catcher who takes hers off almost every play. I can't tell you how many little short pop up fouls she has missed out on because she had to take her mask off first. The amount of time she spends taking the mask off is enough to stick your glove out and make some of those catches. I have seen my daughter knocked loopy several times at the plate, and always glad she still had her helmet on. Only time I have ever seen her lose the helmet is a high popup that she couldn't find.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My former teammate has a son that is coaching his daughter. He told me "She has trouble remembering to get her mask off, but we are working on it." I said "Oh, no. Keep that on." He was actually relieved.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
With how well the equipment fits these days it seems silly to take the mask off. Went to a baseball catching clinic last week and they were teaching take the mask off, find the ball, throw the helmet.

I know last year I tried to teach a few of our softball catchers this method and I thought their head was going to come off with their helmet so stopped. Laymen’s opinion.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have never seen it happen, but I can picture a catcher or runner tripping over a thrown helmet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad