Throwing off the facemask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2010
My DD has been catching all her rec years and is a 2nd year 12u now. i have always and still do say " leave it on" . You never know what can happen and she has got alot of time and my money in her mouth and has for the last couple years (braces) plus she got her nose broke when she was 7 trying to get the mask off while someone fired the ball back home. yep, popped her right in the nose and she never seen it coming... She still makes great plays with her helmet on and she is protected.... jmo.

Hello all, our daughter is a catcher, 14 y/o playing 18A and has simply been trained, never take it off when the ball is live. Baserunners have helmets and can crash into her. Pop flys can be missed and knock out teeth. We've seen that with 2 other girls. Just say don't or you don't play. It worked for us, and she has been grateful ever since.

Dec 15, 2009
I hate to say this, but I disagree with the majority of the group here. I take my mask off for just about everything. I have a hockey style mask. I was taught, and even college coaches and players that I work with told me, to take the mask off for pop ups and if possible for bunts too (but that has to be quick and no time can be wasted for that!!). I took it off if there's a chance of a play at home too. I know teeth can get knocked out, but hey, it's a chance you take. I like it better without the mask. I have great view of everything without feeling like a bobblehead. Girls try to run into you, but you learn to try to prevent some of that and still get the out.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have yet to see a college coach teach take it off. Not only does it take time to take it off, but why? When you pull it off your eyes lose the ball and then you have to find it again. You can see fine out of the new masks. I caught for years and you had to take the old style off.

Jan 28, 2010
At a UM catcher's camp my DD attended this question came up. Their opinion was "old" style take it off "new" style leave it on. I agree and my DD leaves her's on and it seems to not be any problem.

Jul 11, 2009
One more reason to leave it on. This wekend DD was catching and tried to pick a girl off 3rd. Baserunner immediately broke for home on throw, even though she was slow and had no chance to make it. 3rd base fired ball back to dd and she was basically standing there with ball waiting to make tag. Runner never even thought about sliding, she crossed her arms on her chest and prepared for contact. She flat blasted my dd. To make a long story short dd received a ride to ER on a back board wearing a C collar. Xrays were negative on neck and they said catscan was inconclusive as to a concussion. I have no doubt that if she was not wearing helmet when her head smacked ground she would have definitely gotten a concussion or worse. Keep it on!!

sru

Jun 20, 2008
One more reason to leave it on. This wekend DD was catching and tried to pick a girl off 3rd. Baserunner immediately broke for home on throw, even though she was slow and had no chance to make it. 3rd base fired ball back to dd and she was basically standing there with ball waiting to make tag. Runner never even thought about sliding, she crossed her arms on her chest and prepared for contact. She flat blasted my dd. To make a long story short dd received a ride to ER on a back board wearing a C collar. Xrays were negative on neck and they said catscan was inconclusive as to a concussion. I have no doubt that if she was not wearing helmet when her head smacked ground she would have definitely gotten a concussion or worse. Keep it on!!

Enough said!

Jul 11, 2009
Was this ASA and was the runner out and ejected?

Amy it was a local fall ball league that uses high school rules. I agree she should have been tossed and I have no idea if she was as I was only concerned with getting dd to hospital. That is a site I don't wish anyone to have to see. I do know the girl did not play anymore but dd's coach said it was because her knee swelled terribly, possible acl injury. DD's first concern when she got to hospital was if she got the out and if other girl was ok.

Sep 3, 2009
Saw a textbook example of what NOT to do, and why the mask should stay on, this weekend. Runner coming in from 3 on a dinker. Catcher throws off mask, straddles home plate, catches the ball, and waits for collision; tagging the runner with a one-handed tag.

In the cloud of dust, the ball was dropped, runner was safe. Both players were injured. I gotta just shake my head when I see that sort of thing. What was even more amazing was the comments from some of the parents... "gutsy play", "you had her", "good try", etc.

There is no reason that catcher needed to remove the mask, could have made a two-handed tag. The tag could have been applied properly and the catcher would be back on her feet looking to throw the hitter out, who was going for an extra base.

Those kind of plays are just asking for a blown knee, or worse...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes