Thoughts on Daughter's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Dukie, Try getting a cinder block and place her back foot up against the block, this way she can not spin she has to go forward.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just make sure she doesn't solve the problem of not hitting the cinder block with her back foot by transferring weight forward onto her front foot.

There should be a forward transfer of the center of pressure into the front foot. That is what is happening during rear foot eversion and plantarflexion. That is what is happening during Megan's cue of "oh look, I'm running".

LC performed this drill for multiple benefits, including enhancing the use of the rear leg as a firm platform in the extraction of ground reaction forces.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Even using a small wooden wedge cut from a 1x6 or 2x6 piece if timber under the back foot helps, think of it as "oh look, I'm running" . .. downhill. Gets their momentum going in the right direction, and it's something they can duplicate in the box by "digging in" a bit with their back foot so it's on a bit of a decline.

-W

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks to everyone for the their input. We are working on correcting the problem, trying to get some reps. in each night.
I'm trying to convey that adding a little body momentum to the bat speed she already has will definitely pay off.

Jul 21, 2008
Just make sure she doesn't solve the problem of not hitting the cinder block with her back foot by transferring weight forward onto her front foot.

Wellphyt.....Don't quite understand what you mean but not transfer weight onto front foot? If there is no weight on the back foot than it has to be on the front foot. ie weight transfer

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I guess you'd have to define "too much". Many perceive a weight shift, in terms of the center of pressure, as being >= 80%. In the video segment below [golf related] 90% is stated.