Anyone have thoughts on a -9 line bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
The Ghost Advanced 33 drop 10 weighs 23.91 ounces
The Xeno 33 drop 9 weighs 24.05 ounces

They're basically the same weight.

My DD swings these two bats the most / likes them the most:

Xeno 33 drop 9 weighs 24.05 ounces
Ghost Unlimited drop 9 weighs 24.26 ounces

We got the Xeno 33 drop 8 because the cheap price and to push the limits a bit and see what works best.

Jan 8, 2019
No experience here personally, but a buddy of mine here in town says his DD is hitting tape measure shots with an end loaded one-piece Mizuno, she's using a 34" -8.

Pretty sure there is someone on this thread that could provide a sweet deal on those.

I also find it a bit ironic that Easton has made a one-piece as one of their highest priced bats, while Mizuno has had theirs in use for a while and at pretty reasonable prices. I have seen several colleges sponsored by Mizuno where the ladies are swinging the one piece over the power carbon.

Dec 11, 2010
I have seen several colleges sponsored by Mizuno where the ladies are swinging the one piece over the power carbon.
Same here- the hitters using the 1 piece Miz are the players trying to hit the ball otf.

DD used low drop bats her entire career until college. When Ghost came out she swung a -10 until the low drops came out and then she swung 33 -8 Ghost throughout high school.

She is a college senior now and can hit the ball over scoreboards but she is swinging 34/24 Xeno’s and LXT’s. She has never hit the ball as far as she does now. Her mechanics are different and she has 3 plus years of strength and athletic performance training now so who knows how much the bat matters.

I’ll tell you this: If I could go back and do it over, I would skip the low drop and build on explosiveness early in swing. She and my older dd got away with heavier bats because they had super fast hands but seeing the ball longer would have been worth doing. And we could have been closer to a no stride swing at an early age. That would have been worth doing.

I really think as softball dads we fuss waaaaaaay too much about the bats our DD’s use. I did it a lot. It was misdirected energy.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Pretty sure there is someone on this thread that could provide a sweet deal on those.

I also find it a bit ironic that Easton has made a one-piece as one of their highest priced bats, while Mizuno has had theirs in use for a while and at pretty reasonable prices. I have seen several colleges sponsored by Mizuno where the ladies are swinging the one piece over the power carbon.
Because Easton's Unlimited has the same tech inside as all their Ghosts, only diff is that its one piece...meanwhile, The Mizuno Carbon1 is hollow like their Carbon2 so its cheaper to produce.

Oct 4, 2018
i'm pretty sure my dd's GA 33/23 came in right at 23.8. Same size xeno 23.7 i believe.

where?

You might want to weigh again. A Ghost and 2022 Xeno of the same length/drop will not weigh the same. About an ounce difference.

facebook. Lots of bat retailers on there. Mostly in fastpitch groups.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Same here- the hitters using the 1 piece Miz are the players trying to hit the ball otf.

DD used low drop bats her entire career until college. When Ghost came out she swung a -10 until the low drops came out and then she swung 33 -8 Ghost throughout high school.

She is a college senior now and can hit the ball over scoreboards but she is swinging 34/24 Xeno’s and LXT’s. She has never hit the ball as far as she does now. Her mechanics are different and she has 3 plus years of strength and athletic performance training now so who knows how much the bat matters.

I’ll tell you this: If I could go back and do it over, I would skip the low drop and build on explosiveness early in swing. She and my older dd got away with heavier bats because they had super fast hands but seeing the ball longer would have been worth doing. And we could have been closer to a no stride swing at an early age. That would have been worth doing.

I really think as softball dads we fuss waaaaaaay too much about the bats our DD’s use. I did it a lot. It was misdirected energy.

For sure. I ask my DD to rotate amongst her top 3 or 4 favorite bats in practice. And she goes yard with any of them. Mostly so that if one breaks or is lost she maintains confidence in her hitting/bats. I believe any of the top bats are fine and don't even think weigh and length matter all that much. But they matter some, so I'll continue to tinker and weigh and test. :)

But yes, we fuss waaaaaaaaay too much about bats. For sure.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I love this paragraph. Most D1 college girls swing 34-24 bats. Why? They need the extra plate coverage afforded to them by the 34" bat. They also are so strong and mechanically sound that their swings just make the ball explode off the bat.

I watched Mia Davidson use a 34-24 CF during Athletes Unlimited. She hit the longest fastpitch home run I've ever seen at 302' after having hit one 286' the prior game. Her swing speed made up for the slightly lower mass of the bat in a huge way.

Jun 8, 2016
You might want to weigh again. A Ghost and Xeno of the same length/drop will not weigh the same. About an ounce difference.
According to the database on here a lot of the older Xenos were almost an ounce over sticker. Not sure if that has changed for the newer ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad