Anyone have thoughts on a -9 line bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2019
Something that stands out in performance vs what the -10 version does? We have most experiences with Xeno and GA's of recent. Have both in a -10 33" bat. Looking to add a 33" -9 for her to start swinging in the cage and maybe add to game arsenal when she feels ready. My first thought is to buy another xeno as that's been her main preferred bat for nearly 2 years now.

Just open to hearing any thoughts or opionions on anything else out there.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We tried that last season with my daughters. They were both using 33-23 bats, so I figured let's see how they do with a -9 bat instead. After a few hitting lessons, the older daughter decided to stick with the 33-23 bat, while the younger, bigger daughter decided to go to a 34-24 instead. This way, she kept the same balance of the bat and got an extra inch of plate coverage.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
No experience here personally, but a buddy of mine here in town says his DD is hitting tape measure shots with an end loaded one-piece Mizuno, she's using a 34" -8.

LE above has a good point, my DD was using a (-10) 33" Ghost & LXT, when she got to college she started using a 34/24 Xeno. That bat is a thumper!

Pretty funny seeing my 5'0" daughter just holding a 34" bat.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don't recall seeing one -9 DeMarini CF in use in all the Athletes Unlimited games we watched this summer. They were all -10s. The reason I chose that bat is because the -10 and -9 are different colors from each other, so it was easy to spot.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Drop9 isnt for everybody, but def more kids should be swinging heavier than they do. Its been almost taboo to let kids try it.
Kids get pushed to 33/23 quick as they can...then people seem to think kids never get stronger after that :D

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
My DD moved from a 33/-10 GA to a 34/-8 GA over the Winter/Spring. Was a definite adjustment (I thought the jump was too much too soon...probably was), but she really likes it and has used it all Summer. Funny seeing her coaches face the one time he picked it up to use for fly balls.

Sep 8, 2015
My daughter swings a 33/24 PC. Absolutely loves it. In her and my opinion, her 33/23 Ghost still feels slightly heavier. That’s her backup bat and will usually come out when she wants to change something up. She has always hit the ball further when swinging the PC well, but I don’t get into it anymore. Whatever she is feeling is usually the best move.

Oct 4, 2018
Something that stands out in performance vs what the -10 version does? We have most experiences with Xeno and GA's of recent. Have both in a -10 33" bat. Looking to add a 33" -9 for her to start swinging in the cage and maybe add to game arsenal when she feels ready. My first thought is to buy another xeno as that's been her main preferred bat for nearly 2 years now.

Just open to hearing any thoughts or opionions on anything else out there.

The Ghost Advanced 33 drop 10 weighs 23.91 ounces
The Xeno 33 drop 9 weighs 24.05 ounces

They're basically the same weight.

Oct 4, 2018
My daughter swings a 33/24 PC. Absolutely loves it. In her and my opinion, her 33/23 Ghost still feels slightly heavier. That’s her backup bat and will usually come out when she wants to change something up. She has always hit the ball further when swinging the PC well, but I don’t get into it anymore. Whatever she is feeling is usually the best move.

The Ghost might actually be heavier. The drop numbers they paint on the bats aren't all that accurate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad