Thoughts on 10U DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
thanks for the feedback ken and rocket. What is the name of the DVD?

It's called "Building The House: Mechanics and Fundamentals of Pitching" I don't believe you can order it from his website because of a contractual dispute with the producer but you can get it from Amazon.

He also has some very good free video series on FastpitchTV as well as other pitching DVDs from his website.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
We do iLessons with Doug Gillis and he has done WONDERS with our daughter and her pitching! Inexpensive and he really breaks things down in great detail and then gives specific drills to do to help with specific problem areas or even just areas to enhance even more. www.douggillis.com but his site seems to be having issues right now..... :/

May 22, 2012
ok, ordered the hillhouse DVD. Ilessons will have to think about that, but maybe thank you.

Here is the latest attempt at capturing the whip. It is NOT natural for her ANYMORE. Is this better? thoughts for the next step?

May 22, 2012
My Older DD continues to struggle in finding a good consistent whipping motion. She shows some promise in certain drills, but continues to muscle and push during the games. Big thanks to Boardmember as the IR in the classroom thread is great, but it is just not clicking for DD. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Certain pitching coaches set her back tremendously. I have ordered the hillhouse DVD, hopefully that will help.

We've tried skipping stones, reverse chaining, power K with isolated arm, etc. etc.

Further thoughts welcomed on building a better whip and developing more of a push off. She has learned step and throw which is probably keeping her pitches on the slower side. Here is her latest game footage. She is a great REC pitcher with control, consistency etc. but we have our sights a little higher.
Help?

Feb 7, 2013
My Older DD continues to struggle in finding a good consistent whipping motion. She shows some promise in certain drills, but continues to muscle and push during the games. Big thanks to Boardmember as the IR in the classroom thread is great, but it is just not clicking for DD. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Certain pitching coaches set her back tremendously. I have ordered the hillhouse DVD, hopefully that will help.

We've tried skipping stones, reverse chaining, power K with isolated arm, etc. etc.

Further thoughts welcomed on building a better whip and developing more of a push off. She has learned step and throw which is probably keeping her pitches on the slower side. Here is her latest game footage. She is a great REC pitcher with control, consistency etc. but we have our sights a little higher.
Help?

Thanks for posting the video. Some comments:
1) her feet are too close together, should be shoulder width at the very least
2) still no back swing, she should be cradling the glove and pitching hand back to her right hip and then forward (hillhouse video)
3) drive the glove and pitching hand out towards the catcher before separation
4) she is stepping instead of leap and dragging. Her stride leg needs to stride up and out towards catcher down the powerline
5) I don't really see her arm whip being the major problem other than it should come across her body at release a little more. If she gets more open instead of this step style pitching her arm whip will improve.
6) however, make sure she releases her arm naturally and not want to pull it back immediately after release (think overhand throw that finishes across the body as an example).
7) When she strides her weight should be back on the pivot foot dragging away from the pitching plate. Right now it doesn't move forward until the stride foot touches down.
8) fix these few issues and she will be a much better pitcher. The longer she reinforces these incorrect mechanics, the more difficult it will be to break them.
9) Lastly, she is rushing between pitches. Never a good thing. Have her slow down her pre-pitch routine and concentrate on what she needs to accomplish. She needs to be in control in the circle. Have her watch the college girls pre-pitch routine, they are never in a hurry and take their time. I don't care if its rec or NPF.
10) as a side note, once she has two feet on the plate and hands together, she has 1 - 10 sec to pitch the ball. She cannot separate her hands in this position to wipe off her hands, readjust the ball etc. She needs to step one foot off the plate and start over. Otherwise she could be called for IP.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207