Thoughts on 10U DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When I watched it at full speed, I thought she was slamming her shoulders closed at release. In slow mo, it looked more like the shoulders were following through after release. Ultimately, I believe she'll do better to eliminate the shoulder follow through.

Now, watch Ueno and Abbott and you'll see them follow through with the shoulders. I'll bet they could have been so much more if they had better instruction ;)

May 22, 2012
Thanks for the feedback ken. Whats downside of shoulder follow through? And yes using ueno gif as a model. Is that bad?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The belief is that we want the body to set a firm foundation for the arm to whip against. Allowing any part of the body to soften may decrease the energy transfer. When teaching kids to pitch, it's best to start with the optimum mechanics as we understand them. Later, a little fudging may be tolerable, but only if the result clearly outweighs everything else. I find that when the shoulders stay open, speed and spin are consistently better. Tell that to Ueno and Abbott!

May 22, 2012
When I watched it at full speed, I thought she was slamming her shoulders closed at release. In slow mo, it looked more like the shoulders were following through after release. Ultimately, I believe she'll do better to eliminate the shoulder follow through.

Slowly working DD (elder) back into shape. A little unsure about the shoulder comment here. While I realize it is important for the weight and shoulder to stay back before the whip and release, what about after? At this point isn;t it natural for the shoulder follow through to occur?

thanks

May 22, 2012
Here's an update for older DD. I know I see a few issues here. Appreciate feedback as always, positives, negatives, etc.

thanks

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Very nice. She has a tendency to walk through her pitch at release. That is keeping her weight forward. I cannot tell too much about her arm circle, but my initial feeling is that her timing is off a little bit and that she doesn't have the nice arm whip that her sister has.

I think on the third pitch, she really quit striding out and ended up short. She can improve her foot work, just by practicing in the house, with a power line. She doesn't have to pitch a ball.

Did you notice little sis, stealing the show, in the background? Haha. You have your hands full. :)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd say switch to leap and drag rather than using step-style. Either way, I think she should focus on staying tall and stepping or driving into the plant foot. Like her sis, she's bending and trying to throw the ball rather than whipping against a good plant.

I'd also suggest taping her plate down with some no-residue duct tape. I think it's also known as gaffer's tape.

I probably would put control and change ups on hold until she has her form dialed. I know it's the beginning of the season, but it will really save her/you a lot of relearning and help her get ahead faster if she dials in now.

May 22, 2012
Did you notice little sis, stealing the show, in the background? Haha. You have your hands full.

Yes indeed we all laughed when we saw it

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma