Thoughts on 10U DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
Now we have been doing a lot of different drills. Among other things...they both (see other thread for younger DD) need to keep learning to "whip against a good plant" and "stay tall". The arm circle is improving but sometimes I don't see enough elbow bend and true I/r Release. Those are the areas we will focus on. Thanks to everyone for their input, and I would appreciate a reminder on best drills to focus back on.

BTW...We usually warm up with power k, then 3/4 distance step and pitch, and then full motion. At home we practice without a ball too.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 7.31.23 AM.jpg

Yes, she is getting better. I had a girl yesterday, quite similar to your DD. They seem to want to keep driving forward with their shoulders, during the whip. When, actually her complete torso needs to remain above the power line, with her facing the camera. The only thing that should be turned before release of the ball, is her head. Pitch, then turn to protect yourself.

She can practice this in the house by standing facing a wall, about 6 inches from it. Pitch a sock, without letting the hips and shoulders turn.

May 22, 2012
thanks for feedback. Yes, I will continue to coach her to open more, she is more of a stepper than a leaper than younger DD, would you modify that? Or do you think she is getting enough forward push in this clip?

We are really working on keeping the weight back and slinging from the hip.
This was the best arm circle and arm whip that I have seen from her lately

May 22, 2012
Older DD is still struggling to find the whip. Younger DD has not been lead astray by the Hellow elbow and pushing method of pitching coaches but unfortunately older DD here has. Other than the IR in the classroom thread which seemed to click for my younger DD, what can my older DD do to learn to feel the whip? Any other drills? Someone suggested skipping rocks. This works for me but not for her :( I can see her pushing and muscling the ball with her shoulder. She wants to feel the whip but it is not coming naturally. I can stand there and say lead with the elbow, pull your arm down and snap at the wrist all I want. She is not feeling it. Any other thoughts for my frustrated DD?

A couple examples

20130415_163125.mp4 - YouTube

20130421_144551.mp4 - YouTube

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Keep at it, but keep it small with lots of reps. Avoid full motion where she may go right back to pushing. It may help to throw into a net, tarp, backstop, etc. at first. Once she can feel it and repeat it, try playing underhand catch. As she improves, increase the distance.

In the meantime, she can work on her drive separately. When she has them both down, try them together.

Don't over do it. If she's not getting it, take a break and work on hitting, frisbee or bike riding. Go back to it later.

Feb 7, 2013
Older DD is still struggling to find the whip. Younger DD has not been lead astray by the Hellow elbow and pushing method of pitching coaches but unfortunately older DD here has. Other than the IR in the classroom thread which seemed to click for my younger DD, what can my older DD do to learn to feel the whip? Any other drills? Someone suggested skipping rocks. This works for me but not for her :( I can see her pushing and muscling the ball with her shoulder. She wants to feel the whip but it is not coming naturally. I can stand there and say lead with the elbow, pull your arm down and snap at the wrist all I want. She is not feeling it. Any other thoughts for my frustrated DD?

A couple examples

20130415_163125.mp4 - YouTube

20130421_144551.mp4 - YouTube

I would get Hillhouse's beginning pitching DVD, take notes, and apply his pitching absolutes to your daughters pitching mechanics. If they are not going to have a separated backswing, fine, but make sure they cradle the glove and pitching hand go back together and forward together so you are driving the hands towards the catcher. Next, you want them exploding off the pitching plate and yes use one every single time they pitch. Have them get open and stay open during the drive forward. Right now they both are leaning forward at the stride leg plant and are walking through the pitch. The pivot foot should never be forward of the stride plant foot, ever. Getting into a fielding position is secondary to pitching correctly with good mechanics. I'm a big proponent of having pitching practice duplicate the actual conditions she will face in a game. For example, measure the exact distance to 35 feet, use the same ball used the game, use a pitching plate, wear cleats (even on artificial turf if forced inside), every pitch should have a purpose and throw with maximum effort. They need to locate their fastball to all four corners with regularity then move on to the change up.

Regarding older daughter and her change up video. Make sure she is throwing it hard, there should not be a noticeable arc in the pitch, the flip change mechanics will naturally take 25% of the speed off the pitch. Keep it low in the strike zone to be most effective.

Two DDs that pitch is very challenging. Good luck.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
If you are looking for an excellent I/R instructor I highly recommend Doug Gillis. My DD just loves him. She has natural I/R and every instructor triedbefore him desperately tried to coach that out of her. He was the first to compliment her on it. In my opinion, Doug has an amazing eye for the smallest detail that needs work and has a drill for it. I was very, and I am still continually impressed with him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks