Thoughts on 10U DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
To add to Rocketech1:
During practice, after catching the ball, have her walk around the rubber and stop a foot or two behind. Fiddle around if needed, take a breath, then step on with the hands apart. As mentioned, once the hands come together, they cannot separate and come back together.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Doug Gillis also has a very good set of DVDs that include both a basic mechanics DVD and a DVD of different drills that take you through each aspect of the pitching motion, breaks it down, and then gives you methods to target. They are comparable to BH I think, and the drills set is very good. Both BH and DG recommend an "up together, down together" drill that I think would benefit your DD as she moves from step to leap- and even before, as it really helps with timing. IMO, if your DD is actively pitching in games, this will easily undo the IR you are trying to work on, and slow her improvement- so just accept that fact for now. You can see that when she pitches in a game, she is not doing what she does in drills. It is very hard for her because she is trying to put the ball over the plate, that is her focus- not her mechanics when she is in the game. I think that is to be expected with her level of experience and frankly, my 15YO does the same thing sometimes when she is tired, and then the wheels really come off for her:) . She'll get it, you just need to be patient (and so does she). It takes time to undo the pattern of repetition she was comfortable with to something new. Pitching in games slows the process. Have her keep doing the dry drills with the softie, over and over, just like they are outlined in the IR thread, and have her play RELAXED underhand catch with you, no strike zone. Consider not playing in the fall and just let her work over the winter to get this down.

May 22, 2012
DD has come to terms with the fact that she needs to develop a push or leap. She needs some type of premotion, rearward lean, or rocking, and of course develop a serious push off. Can anyone point to video examples of simple but effective powerful push offs?

thanks

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At the bottom of this page are a handful of videos that brush over some points and provide a few video examples:

Girls Softball Fastpitch Softball Training Aid - Softball Power Drive

I'm not fond of Scarborough's deep curtsey bend, but I do like how she moves into a good lean/load after. (I'm also not promoting the power drive--looks like a fun toy, but not sure it really helps.)

Here are a few steps to follow:
-Catch the ball and walk around the rubber to a point behind and stop
-Fiddle around, throw the ball into the glove, check hair, etc
-Step up and stop about 1 foot from the back of the rubber, take a breath, focus on task
-Step on with the hands separated and the pivot toe hanging over the front edge of the rubber. (Weight is on the front foot)
-Back toe is touching the back edge, the heel is up and the stride knee is bent
-Drop the back heel and shift the weight onto it as the hands come together.
-Pump the hands forward/together then swing them back:
ssssssss-Separately past both hips
ssssssss-Together towards the throwing hand side then separate and let the throwing hend continue back
ssssssss-Together past the throwing side hip
ssssssss-Down into the pelvic area
-As the above rearward swing begins, so does the forward lean onto the front foot while bending/loading the knee
-At the rearmost point of the swing (or when it feels like you need to) explode forward
-Drive hard forward with the hands and stride toe, which is pointed at the target
-Think “stay tall” now
-The stride toe lands on the powerline and pointed no less than 45 degrees.
-Land with slight rearward lean with the nose behind the belly and the belly behind the toes

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I should add: The first four steps (in my mind) are must-do's. This routine, or something very close to it, should be followed every time a kid practices full motion.The hands must be separated when you step on. They cannot come together, separate, then come back together. Getting into a routine at practice will eliminate unnecessary IP's. If all else fails with getting a kid to stay legal, point it out to your local BU and tell him/her to ring your kid up. For some reason, kids listen to umps better than parents or coaches...

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
Ken, thanks for the reply. I am just getting to this link now, will check it all out.

Here was her first attempt at pushing off and trying to get the left leg up. I can already tell this will be a tough transition. Curious what you all see here. Pitches 4-6 were the fastest (it seemed)

20130515_194526.mp4 - YouTube

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
stickpile39,
Is DD currently pitching in games? If so, a major change like this might be better left for the off season. It might be ok to play around with it and it may creep into her current form, but now is a better time to fine tune things like whip, getting open, staying tall, and hitting her spots. I've seen a couple kids make the leap (intended) and never look back, but most need time dedicated to making the transition without distractions like games, a glove, etc.

When she is working on L/D, take the ball/catcher out of the equation. When she gets the basic form down consistently, use a net, tarp, mattress, blanket, fence etc., and add a ball up close. As she irons out her timing and form, move back a little at a time until she can hit the center of the net consistently at about 3/4 distance. Then try a catcher. If she reverts and starts aiming and fudging on form, go back to the net.

May 22, 2012
Thanks Ken, Yes she is pitching. This will not change, her enthusiasm would wane without the games to look forward to. sure we can take your suggestions during practice. Can you tell me what you see different here in the latest practice video trying to leap, vs the game pitching on the previous video? I want to know what I am seeing so I can guide her during practice.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Looks like she is making a more aggressive step, but it is still a step. When she begins the transition, she'll need to focus on loading and exploding forward. She's currently stepping, planting both feet and pitching with both feet at delivery. In the L/D, she'll be using her whole body to drive forward, dragging the rear foot (without replanting it and pushing again,) landing and pitching against the stride foot. I don't have any experience with making a gradual change. If it's possible, hopefully someone with experience facilitating this can detail the process. I start fresh and ask for a commitment to never look back.

May 22, 2012
Yes it looked a lot more aggressive to me, but i now see what you mean

"She's currently stepping, planting both feet and pitching with both feet at delivery."

I need to study the leap form with her. i will refer to the link you sent earlier from the powerdrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd