Thoughts on 10U DD pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
When first learning to leap, I try take away the concept of pitching and focus more on what it feels like to jump forward and using all of the body to make that more efficienct. Once they feel how to load and lean, use the hands, etc, then we start shaping that into a pitching motion.

May 22, 2012
thought I'd update older DD's thread while I'm at it. She will be 2nd year 12U pitcher this summer. She is still working on getting more whip and more of a leap. Her strengths are accuracy and "smart" pitching with a nice change.

May 22, 2012
Both Dd's working on arm whip tonight, loosen up, lead with elbow, transfer energy from upper arm to lower, etc. How does everything look?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I really like her relaxed flow! Feeling whip instead of forcing a rigid drill--good stuff! Now that she's got the loose whip down, let her flow in follow through as well. Also, keep that chin up--"tall and proper."

Very nice work!

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It looks like her elbow is bent a little much and her hand is away from her body when her elbow is coming in contact with her side. Sort of a little side arm throwing action happening. Forcing IR early? I went through the thread again and it looks like she is enjoying her self and making nice progress.

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
thanks Ken and CLM. Yes, ken now that the whip is improving time to get tall and proper :) CLM, forcing IR early ? Yes, probably so. She is a "HE" convert. I think she has begun to exaggerate the bend to find the whip, especially during these drills. WE have some indoor facility time later today (cold weather around here killing me), so I will see what she can do with some real softballs.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The whip looks good enough in the drill. Comparing it to recent full pitch clips it looks like it is just a matter of reps, reps, reps to get this to stay intact during the full motion. As others have noted, get that posture and the glove arm in a better position for the "oh my God my dad is obsessed, I just got out of the shower and my hair is still wet but dad wants to get video" drill :) I think exaggerating is fine for drills to really get the feeling of a motion. Once she feels the whip it shouldn't be too hard to decrease the angle.

May 22, 2012
Desperately trying to get outside for practice. Warmest day we have had in a while. Took both DD's outside. Any thoughts on this "K" arm whip?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck