Thnk we're done.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
After several weeks of tearing it up in tryouts, when to all appearances all the passion and love of the game that have been leeched out of her the last few seasons, she told me she's not going to do this anymore.

She's had a trail of cr@ppy coaches, kept thinking this time maybe we found something worth her investment in time, emotion, and effort, but just never did. In my mind, just one good experience in the last two years could have changed the landscape for her, but who knows.

I was never an athlete as a kid, so this world of youth sports was entirely alien to me. I'm glad this place was here to provide a refreshing dose of sanity. Thanks for the laughs.
So what are you going to do with all this extra money?

And what does your dd want to do with all this extra time?

May 7, 2014
I don't know how u can stay so composed. If DD told me it was time to quit softball, I'd literally be in tears for days. Good luck to you guys and I wish her the best

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
[SUB][/SUB]
So what are you going to do with all this extra money?

And what does your dd want to do with all this extra time?

One answer for 2 questions-BUY A BOAT

seriously though, I had always told DD that she needs to play for herself and I can walk away from coaching at any time.
When the going got tough, I struck up the conversation every time. As luck would have it, I finished coaching this summer
as she is leaving for college in a few days. I have no regrets, nor do I miss coaching. I have great memories from countless
road trips both near and far. We are extremely close and I am excited for her and what her future holds. The results from our conversation
last week she said if academics are too tough she will stop playing in college. I couldn't be more proud. She is at a very prominent
D3 with a very good team and she will be successful in the circle as long as she plays. Now I am awaiting the schedule so
I can rack up some JETBLUE miles going to games with the saved $$

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This thread is good. I had not quite the same thing as the OP, but my youngest DD, started College this last year. After Graduation from HS, she told me this would be her last Summer playing TB (Last Summer). This Summer she finally got to hang with friends and do stuff she hadn't been able to do for the last 10 years. She did miss playing, but she also said it was her best decision.

Jul 31, 2015
Hopefully you can find a good coaching situation for your daughter. I have been through both ends of the spectrum with my DD. First year of travel ball she had good skills coaching but terrible game and roster management coaching. This past year just ended and my DD is moving up to an older team in the same organization. I told her old coach that he had done the ultimate job in coaching her. He had helped her improve and given her the desire to give him everything she had. She wanted too play so badly for this team and coach she made multiple catches while running into fences, finished an inning with her entire forearm taped up with baby wipes and duct tape after losing all her skin making a diving catch, and playing 8 hours after leaving the ER having to get IV's for heat exhaustion (I know this is shameless bragging but I am very proud of her effort). All of this has resulted in her renewed love of softball when I was afraid she going to only play volleyball. Good coaching situations are out there I hope you can find one for your daughter.

Apr 1, 2010
I don't know how u can stay so composed. If DD told me it was time to quit softball, I'd literally be in tears for days. Good luck to you guys and I wish her the best

I'm not sure if DD's done or not. DD had thought she'd quit travel and just do HS ball, then near the end of the travel season, she changed her mind and wanted to keep playing. Unfortunately, the coach had already replaced her. So now she's just doing HS ball. High school academics are getting tougher and tougher, plus she really loves the HS's FRST robotics team, which has working till 9 or 10 pm every weeknight during the Jan-Feb build season.

I'm waiting to see if she can or can't live without softball this spring. I was thinking maybe guest play if she really can't bear to give up travel ball entirely? I sure wouldn't mind less commitment of our time and money!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
plus she really loves the HS's FRST robotics team, which has working till 9 or 10 pm every weeknight during the Jan-Feb build season.

WOW! My youngest is involved in the FIRST robotics too. Had an organizational meeting last week
and the Robotics Teacher is trying to suck me in to the vortex as he knows I have retired from coaching
softball. Will have to see what happens, I do enjoy the 'Rock Concert' atmosphere of the competitions
but on a down note, I helped with the build last season but wife went to Vegas competition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi