The rear leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

MTS, can you give a practical description of what makes this rear leg driven. I think some learners (lack of a better word, since we are all learners) believe "rear leg drive" is just pushing hard off the rear leg (why I have introduced Bonds gifs to discussions before).

Practical description - lol.

Best I can practically describe over the internet is using FEEL as the key word - you are trying to apply IR pressure of the rear upper leg against the rear hip that is resisting....

Whether it is throwing or hitting - I FEEL a quick turn of the upper leg timed with the start of the throw or swing....when I apply pre pressure of the upper leg with the rear hip holding it back - there is even more suddenness to the move...it FEELS to me like I am staying back and then exploding....but I don't FEEL any kind of push from the rear foot off the ground....

You can see it here:

rj34ph.gif

And here:

3bto2bthrow.gif

And here illustrates the move of the rear leg without needing a push off the ground....

ASFBPause.gif

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Moms going to love this new "wrinkle" in our new MO. White pants will start a war...but I'm seeing what you talking about !!! I need to hit the thrift stores, and keep them hit and washed my self. That will be DM's first question if she would see a post..."where did she get them pants...you can't put her on the internet in those" Of course My vid last night has DD in the coolest black Yoga pants...Why do I always have to be exactly wrong? :{))

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Practical description - lol.

Best I can practically describe over the internet is using FEEL as the key word - you are trying to apply IR pressure of the rear upper leg against the rear hip that is resisting....

I can see that some else is seeing the link between all three skills... I made this point a year ago...not looking for credit, just wanting to prove I'm not crazy... lol I think an emphasis on this for 8yr olds could really accelerate the learning... and they all need to learn all they can about pitchin and do it !!!

Batting

Batting.avi - YouTube

Throwing

Throwing - YouTube

Pitching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimCddw0q80

Last edited:
R

RayR

PC, Here Rachele Fico now pitching for LSU - this was taken when she was at Masuk HS in CT.

FicoG.gif

As a side note - some people have claimed she is replanting - but the upper leg starts IRing before the foot stops and her heel never touches the ground. She figured out the rear leg.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, Here Rachele Fico now pitching for LSU - this was taken when she was at Masuk HS in CT.

FicoG.gif

As a side note - some people have claimed she is replanting - but the upper leg starts IRing before the foot stops and her heel never touches the ground. She figured out the rear leg.

Your right!!! I watched her this year... I think LSU has it going on, new coach will keep things popping !!!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
PC, Here Rachele Fico now
FicoG.gif

Lineal momentum, hitting a brick wall, or also called a rock solid front leg.
She drives, off the back leg as hard as she can, explodes, as a track sprinter off the block.
The front leg is knee driven foward, like a mma knee strike, with the foot reaching out, sole facing batter.
All Lineal actions.
This lineal energy crashes against the front side, at release, creating the whip.
Also, front leg flare.
The back leg pushes, then drags. Short, hard work, then done.

My 12 year old

red%20fury%20003blog_edited-1-M.jpg

R

RayR

2 things quickly....

1) The whip is not created from the linear energy crashing into the front side....the whip is created by pulling the ball around the arm circle....the crash assists....

2) The back leg is not dragging - maybe the foot drags - but the back leg is always working...

Lineal momentum, hitting a brick wall, or also called a rock solid front leg.
She drives, off the back leg as hard as she can, explodes, as a track sprinter off the block.
The front leg is knee driven foward, like a mma knee strike, with the foot reaching out, sole facing batter.
All Lineal actions.
This lineal energy crashes against the front side, at release, creating the whip.
Also, front leg flare.
The back leg pushes, then drags. Short, hard work, then done.

My 12 year old

red%20fury%20003blog_edited-1-M.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli