The rear leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
I don't see any indication that Utley is ERing the femur....constant IR....no shaking in the knee due to contrived ER....

I don't see that he's trying to keep pressure on the left upper thigh towards the groin either. I would sure think his knee would have to be turned in if he was. This stuff is so confusing.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
I do believe most of what jbooth describes anatomically is probably correct (I have no idea but he seems very familiar with the terms) but most of us see it and describe it as something else because who would think the rear hip is in an externally rotated position by what we see and think.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I don't see that he's trying to keep pressure on the left upper thigh towards the groin either. I would sure think his knee would have to be turned in if he was. This stuff is so confusing.

I see the crease at his left leg underwear line area increase when he knee cocks his right leg. Then turning in his left leg maintains that crease as his right leg is going forward.

Several to look at and think about.
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/11735-lower-half-gifs-perfect-circle.html

R

RayR

Whiney Larsen - Alabama

1jsxld.gif
27ysqva.gif

30uxzqw.gif
2ms4hh5.gif

R

RayR

Larsen, Continued

This is one of her better swings IMO - her swing is rear leg driven - not hip or front leg driven....

rj34ph.gif
LarsenBehindHip.jpg

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Whiney Larsen - Alabama

1jsxld.gif
27ysqva.gif

30uxzqw.gif
2ms4hh5.gif

Nice MTS. When I first came to this site she was my fav model swing.

Just practical advice to some...look at wrinkles appearing in her jerseys near her mid section, you can really see it in the white jerseys.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Nice MTS. When I first came to this site she was my fav model swing.

Just practical advice to some...look at wrinkles appearing in her jerseys near her mid section, you can really see it in the white jerseys.

Great observation, crease lines! It could make the point for getting white pants for videos to submit. The one thing I'm not seeing her do is roll the foot over, like most others greats. I kinda think of it as the wind from the bat pushes over the foot as it swings past it. Is it just a follow thur, that gives a timing cue, or can power be ascribed to it, and from doing it ? Or is she just more concerned about beating out the throw in this clip?

Last edited:
R

RayR

Thanks RHC - you might like this clip - down to and up through - not down through

LarsenHandPathContactG.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Larsen, Continued

This is one of her better swings IMO - her swing is rear leg driven - not hip or front leg driven....

rj34ph.gif
LarsenBehindHip.jpg

MTS, can you give a practical description of what makes this rear leg driven. I think some learners (lack of a better word, since we are all learners) believe "rear leg drive" is just pushing hard off the rear leg (why I have introduced Bonds gifs to discussions before).

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Great observation, crease lines! It could make the point for getting white pants for videos to submit. The one thing I'm not seeing her do is roll the foot over, like most others greats. I kinda think of it as the wind from the bat pushes over the foot as it swings past it. Is it just a follow thur, that gives a timing cue, or can power be ascribed to it, and from doing it ? Or is she just more concerned about beating out the throw in this clip?

Pants...funny you mention that....I was looking at someones dd gif last week...I ended up not commenting because she had on real baggy black pants...I couldn't be sure what was going on.
I have noticed in her front foot in her swing...I certainly don't know for sure, but believe like you said she is trying to get going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros