The rear leg

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
barrell drop? u mean reward barrell turn? This is cause by the uptick, with the hands loaded has a pivot point. Check out the blogtv. segment and go thru it again. Others can probably describe and explain it better.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Watched Teacherman today, and i uh, i can picture some of it, i can feel some of it, but does it match what is being done, in the high level swing?

The rear leg, and rear hip, this is the center of the HI universe. The swing rotates around the rear hip, and because it(the swing) rotates around this one small spot, its a quick short swing.
I like the coil, in the hip socket, he showed how small of a movement is needed for this part of the sequence.

The hand swivel, is a main piece of the Teacherman swing.

Its all done with weight on the back foot? It is in his demo. But in the MLB swing, the barrel does not drop till the weight is foward, so this does not add up for me.
The swivel, i see no swivel per say, in the hamilton or cabrera clips.

But i now reconize some language some of you guys use, and who you follow.

We have discussed in the past where the weight is. If you still believe the weight in a high level swing is shifted forward THEN they swing, I could see that it wouldn't make sense. The HLS (high level swing) is powered with all the weight back. Some hitters have little forward movement, such as Bonds, some have more forward movement, but all have their weight back at fire. As we have discussed before.
Hand swivel...the bat turning around the hands...or "turn the barrel" as is said on the forums.

Note that I say fire above, like a gun. Release could be a good replacement word, like a bow, or a wrist rocket. Not "pull back, the push forward, the blocking the forward movement, then pushing back with the front side, triggering the swing, the kinetic ......" You get the point...my latest pet peeve of people discussing a dozen different forces and directions taking place after go in a HLS. If anyone has gifs (Im at work can't post em) of Hami, Kent, Bonds, etc or a youtube at full speed. As I said a few weeks ago, off season has become a bit long and some have over dosed on slow motion gifs. We need a dose of full speed, to see just how quickly a HLS is fired and done.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
This discussion is getting to the point it needs to in that the SNF is just a drill to let the hitter FEEL the rear leg and its power. Now how do we transition that into a swing with our body facing the plate? How do we handle our lead leg? While facing the pitcher in the drill the front leg is allowed to freely go wherever it is led(which is forward if it is done correctly). When I take a regular stance in the batters box and think of the SNF drill, it is a challenge to swing with the weight back and the leg going to my left(RH batter). Teach was showing a bit of an open stance in regular swings which would help resolve some of this. Yet HLS have both open,closed,and neutral beginnings. While my description is lacking I think you can see where i am going with this. Looking at GIF's is ok but IMO standing up and taking swings is going to bring the answers to this question. As far as the hand swivel it is going to be a timing issue IMO that will be answerd when the above is answered.

Mar 12, 2009
TM showed you should get up on the back leg then sit on it then rotate the hips slightly to coil then rotate the back then clamp the scap. My question is when in the batter's box should they actually shift/slide their weight over to the back leg then sit or can they accomplish this by combining a slight twist of the hips and lowering/sitting motion at the same time if that makes since. I understand trying to keep the upper leg IR'ing but are you trying to lay the upper leg over/inward as far as you can or just slightly? It seems to me by looking at gifs of Utley and others it is only slightly at most and that's what feels more natural to me. I still feel the pressure in the foot turning clockwise but you don't have to put the focus there.

Jan 13, 2012
TM showed you should get up on the back leg then sit on it then rotate the hips slightly to coil then rotate the back then clamp the scap. My question is when in the batter's box should they actually shift/slide their weight over to the back leg then sit or can they accomplish this by combining a slight twist of the hips and lowering/sitting motion at the same time if that makes since. I understand trying to keep the upper leg IR'ing but are you trying to lay the upper leg over/inward as far as you can or just slightly? It seems to me by looking at gifs of Utley and others it is only slightly at most and that's what feels more natural to me. I still feel the pressure in the foot turning clockwise but you don't have to put the focus there.

The "twist" of the hips is far easier and much less likely to create sway. I find that I have a hard time coiling if I weight the rear leg first.

Jan 13, 2012
I don't agree with the bold above.

My personal feel is that I have more trouble coiling if I weight the rear leg first. However, it depends on how much weight you're placing on the rear leg and where you're placing it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz