Terminology question--the River........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2010
I am a TB coach but my pitching knowledge is lacking. Been trying to get better and have seen and heard the term "the river" but never caught an explanation of it. What part of the plate/strike zone/off the plate is it referring to?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If the river is only on the opposite batters box why would a hitter say they can't turn on a pitch on the river?

IDK, inside to me is "the kitchen" i.e., you enter my kitchen at your own risk

However, its far more logical to call the inside slot the river and the outside slot the ocean i.e., many a batter has become lost flailing away in the ocean. We can revolutionize the game. What say you?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Look into buying the Schutte rubber home plate.
The center portion over the plate is red, yellow on the edges, and the "river" is green. It gives the pitcher and catcher an additional reference when calling...

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I have a striped home plate and I love it as a catcher. The pitcher can't see it as well, but it is better than just an all white plate. They get some reference.

Mar 26, 2013
As others have posted, the river is the 6" between the plate and the batter's box.

One of TV announcers give a poor explanation of it over the weekend. They said it is a new term that has replaced the "black" because there is no black on/around the plate.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As others have posted, the river is the 6" between the plate and the batter's box.

So there's an inside river and an outside river? And is the thing between the two rivers an island or an isthmus?

I am disappointed that you're not a proponent of neomodern softball lexicology and the newly defined terms river and ocean :mad:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff