Team Decision (Try Outs Dilemma)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I also think 'A' teams and players playing 'B'/'C' is unethical... but we are not talking about that.

We are talking about a player who is learning/developing their pitching skills which are way behind her other softball skill sets - so at best a 'B' level pithcher. I have no issue with her playing on a lesser team to get circle time if she does not also use her 'A' skills to dominate the game (which is why she shouldn't bat or field - just pitch). If she wants to be a pitcher she needs circle time and I have no problem with her getting it this way.

I am fine with this as well. More than likely, said pitcher will not get any pitching time on her A team, so guesting for a B team may be her best opportunity.

Apr 1, 2010
Amy that this absolutely the problem. She worked all winter got pretty good at hitting her spots and is now in PT for overuse and been down and out with shoulder problems since July. These kids are missing basic pop flys and routine throws from SS to 1st. She always had great speed is receiving good training. She needs more time to actually get some accuracy. I am afraid of a rerun next summer and she loves this kids and coaches, but the quality and the commitment of kids are not there. She does other sports as well, but she puts in the hard work. We have been in therapy (2x week) now for 4 weeks and doing strength training to help her pain. She is doing her exercises everyday, and I have gotten a lot more educated on how to protect my DD from overuse.

Option 1: Stay with B Travel Team #1 50% circle time
Option 2: Move to B Travel team #2 30% circle time a little better players and guest pitch on B Travel Team#1
Option 3: Move to A Travel team and look for options to guest pitch.

I am leaning to Option #2 she will not have the competitiveness and team will still get dinged up, but not so bad.

I would normally lean toward option 2 also, except as JJ noted, with her shoulder problems, this might be the time to go ahead, take the non-pitching spot and concentrate on her general softball skills while her shoulder heals. Without the pressure to pitch in games, she'd be able to limit her pitching to only as much as her therapists and PC recommend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32