Team Decision (Try Outs Dilemma)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not going to catch up to the 'A' pitchers if you are on a team with them getting better and circle time and you are not.

If she wants to pitch she needs to find circle time... two choices - find the best team she can be on and be at least a #2 option pitcher or find a way to play rec/get enough guest playing to get innings as well as being on the 'A' travel team.

On our current 12U-A team we have several 'A' level softball players, but who are also at best 'C' level pitchers... they never, ever pitch even if we are up 10. Meanwhile our top 2 pitchers share 90% of the meaningful pitching time and continue to get better and better and our #3 gets what is left, an occasional start and garbage time innings.

There is no way any of their team mates are catching up to even our #3 pitcher without real circle time somewhere. All but one of them have pretty much stopped pitching lessons and have settled into being the best softball player they can be. The remaining one is playing rec as well as travel which is a huge time commitment.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
An 03 is usually going to pitch for a B team since being a first year 12U. I would try and find a competitive B team playing in at least 8 tournaments that is looking for pitching. She should make the team assuming your DD is above average. Get as much mound time as you can even if it's also being on a Rec team. Teams will notice and come knocking if she is giving teams a tough time.

Guest playing is also a great way to get more innings in and becoming recognized as a competent pitcher. Things don't happen over night so a slow and steady effort at getting better works best while recognizing she's going to have some poor pitching days thrown in that are great learning opportunities.

Aug 20, 2013
I wouldn't have her pitch for a team with no defense. She will end up throwing many more pitches than necessary.

Amy that this absolutely the problem. She worked all winter got pretty good at hitting her spots and is now in PT for overuse and been down and out with shoulder problems since July. These kids are missing basic pop flys and routine throws from SS to 1st. She always had great speed is receiving good training. She needs more time to actually get some accuracy. I am afraid of a rerun next summer and she loves this kids and coaches, but the quality and the commitment of kids are not there. She does other sports as well, but she puts in the hard work. We have been in therapy (2x week) now for 4 weeks and doing strength training to help her pain. She is doing her exercises everyday, and I have gotten a lot more educated on how to protect my DD from overuse.

Option 1: Stay with B Travel Team #1 50% circle time
Option 2: Move to B Travel team #2 30% circle time a little better players and guest pitch on B Travel Team#1
Option 3: Move to A Travel team and look for options to guest pitch.

I am leaning to Option #2 she will not have the competitiveness and team will still get dinged up, but not so bad.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
PT at 11 for shoulder problems? That is a really big red flag for a kid that age. Are you sure this is just over use and not a mechanical flaw? My DD has pitched a lot and had some pretty good periods of a lot of circle time. She has had some ankle/foot pain, sometimes lower back, but her shoulder has never bothered her. How much was she being pitched this summer?

Aug 20, 2013
JJ,
This was a concern for her PC who she sees weekly. We had some chicken winging which was corrected. Ever since a weekend game in July when I was gone on travel and my DH took her to two games were she pitched over 100 pitches. (Sat/Sun) Ever since that time over hand and under hand hurts. We went to a pediatric sports doctor who said she has rotator cuff tendonitis, and weak rotator cuff. As of 4 weeks ago he could literally take her shoulder out of socket. We had 0 throwing for a month with lots of PT and home exercises. My DD is not big super star, she is a kid with good athletic ability and a passion to play good ball. She is currently 5'3 100 lbs and just turned 11. She is growing quickly with lots going on.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
that kind of changes the equation on which team to pick don't you think? If she needs to rehab and take it easy and slowly re-enter pitching or has a significant chance of re-injury, maybe playing on the best team at another position while she slowly works her way back to being able to pitch on a regular basis and does some guest playing on other teams, as others have suggested, may be a better choice. Having a central role in pitching on a team will just put pressure on her to pitch when she may not be ready. I can see a worse case scenario develop where she can't pitch but is fine to play other positions but is then held back by being on too low a level team. tough decision. good luck.

May 14, 2010
I would not consider the A Team simply because the coach at the beginning of the year already is willing to say my DD cant pitch. Would never play for a coach who flat out denies any player the opportunity to earn a spot. I say find another A team if you can. or go get circle time on another team.

But at least this coach is being honest with them. Would you rather try out for a coach that promises everything at tryouts? Then fails to provide.

Would you rather become the best pitcher on a bad team or the worst pitcher on a good team? Realize this is only 12U and noone will live or die based on the decision.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Are these the only three options that you have? Sounds like you're saying your DD is too good for the B team, but not good enough (as a pitcher) for the A team, at least in the opinion of the A coach. Do you live in a small place where there are no other teams?

Aug 20, 2013
This site is invaluable. Just typing through and working through this has revealed a lot. My daughter being happy, having fun, and me providing her the tools to be the best she wants to be is important. (Oldest played college ball (NAIA)). Never thought my kid would want to play not only pitch. Now that it has been over a year and she is still very serious I want to do the right thing. No matter what I decide I am ticking off some teams and I feel bad all away around.

Aug 20, 2013
CoogansBluff,

That is correct Team B #1 (she is alot better) Team B#2 (better than most but she will not be playing alot of ball but will get circle time). Team A circle time will be though but will be pushed to another level of play. (my opinion)

Carla

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck