Team Decision (Try Outs Dilemma)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Option 2 team, 30% pitching time. She gets time in the circle and can work hard and compete to get more playing time. The other benefit is she will get opportunities to learn and become better at other positions. For example, my DD is 1 of 3 pitchers who currently in fall get equal circle time. She also has played 1B, RF, CF, LF this season which is a great way for her to become a well-rounded player. Someday she may not be good enough or have the drive or desire to become a top notch pitcher, so she needs to develop a secondary or third position.

Jun 19, 2013
Not going to catch up to the 'A' pitchers if you are on a team with them getting better and circle time and you are not.

If she wants to pitch she needs to find circle time... two choices - find the best team she can be on and be at least a #2 option pitcher or find a way to play rec/get enough guest playing to get innings as well as being on the 'A' travel team.

On our current 12U-A team we have several 'A' level softball players, but who are also at best 'C' level pitchers... they never, ever pitch even if we are up 10. Meanwhile our top 2 pitchers share 90% of the meaningful pitching time and continue to get better and better and our #3 gets what is left, an occasional start and garbage time innings.

There is no way any of their team mates are catching up to even our #3 pitcher without real circle time somewhere. All but one of them have pretty much stopped pitching lessons and have settled into being the best softball player they can be. The remaining one is playing rec as well as travel which is a huge time commitment.

This is the truth. We lived this last year as second year 12U and it stunk getting about 15 innings for the entire season! But previous year played for the B team with the poor defense and lots of innings. There are huge pros and cons to both. I think like JJ's saying though you need to take the shoulder situation into high consideration. First year 12's my DD would get 50% of the circle time. If she was on she would throw 3+ games in a weekend and never needed more than a little ice once in a while on the shoulder just as a precaution, if she is already having issues this type of workload sounds like way too much for your girl. (And yes it is frustrating when you are having to get about 5 outs to get out of an inning when there are a lot of errors going on during simple plays, but DD tried to think of it as more reps and building character.)

Maybe this is her year to soak in the good coaching and pick-up on off weekends for B teams. Tough decision but either way it won't make or break her future if you guys are committed - she has a lot of softball ahead of her.

Nov 29, 2009
I would not consider the A Team simply because the coach at the beginning of the year already is willing to say my DD cant pitch. Would never play for a coach who flat out denies any player the opportunity to earn a spot. I say find another A team if you can. or go get circle time on another team.

I would commend the coach of the A team for being honest. He told the mom right up front. There would be be no pitching time available. The team needs help at X position. Her DD would see time there. Sounds like a straight shooter to me. No maybe, possibly or other bait-and-switch type words.

Mar 28, 2013
Totally agree, If a coach has major flaws I would appreciate him telling me right up front.;)

I would commend the coach of the A team for being honest. He told the mom right up front. There would be be no pitching time available. The team needs help at X position. Her DD would see time there. Sounds like a straight shooter to me. No maybe, possibly or other bait-and-switch type words.

Last edited:
Maybe this is her year to soak in the good coaching and pick-up on off weekends for B teams. Tough decision but either way it won't make or break her future if you guys are committed - she has a lot of softball ahead of her.
Please be aware that some folks have issues with class A players picking up with class B teams. Our teams don't allow our girls to do so under any circumstances.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you are playing A and guesting B or C, you better do it in accordance with the roster rules or for different ABCs. Every coach is on the lookout for A pitchers playing down for trophy hunters...

Most rosters aren't frozen until next year so it shouldn't be too big of an issue at the moment.

Also, if you are a 'B/C' pitcher, but an 'A' player then it shouldn't be an issue for you to play in 'B' and pitch - but maybe suggest that she bats way down the order - or not at all.

Most rosters aren't frozen until next year so it shouldn't be too big of an issue at the moment.

Also, if you are a 'B/C' pitcher, but an 'A' player then it shouldn't be an issue for you to play in 'B' and pitch - but maybe suggest that she bats way down the order - or not at all.
Even without considering the frozen roster issues or the various sanctioning bodies' rules, a lot of folks just think it is bush league when a player who is on a class A team picks up for a class B team. I happen to be one of those who thinks it is unethical.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even without considering the frozen roster issues or the various sanctioning bodies' rules, a lot of folks just think it is bush league when a player who is on a class A team picks up for a class B team. I happen to be one of those who thinks it is unethical.

No different than teams that play down a level just to collect trophies. I am familiar with a team that had a winning percentage of over 90% at B level. I know the coach very well and asked him if he intended to move to A level. His response - "why would we do that?". Bush league....

No different than teams that play down a level just to collect trophies. I am familiar with a team that had a winning percentage of over 90% at B level. I know the coach very well and asked him if he intended to move to A level. His response - "why would we do that?". Bush league....
Completely bush league. If you're winning at over a .700 clip, it's time to move up. If you are winning that much and you are playing at the top level, you have a very good team. :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I also think 'A' teams and players playing 'B'/'C' is unethical... but we are not talking about that.

We are talking about a player who is learning/developing their pitching skills which are way behind her other softball skill sets - so at best a 'B' level pithcher. I have no issue with her playing on a lesser team to get circle time if she does not also use her 'A' skills to dominate the game (which is why she shouldn't bat or field - just pitch). If she wants to be a pitcher she needs circle time and I have no problem with her getting it this way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32