Syracuse.com Survey of Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
When I played FB way back when we had an 8 yr run deep into playoffs at our school. State finals runner up and one state championship. What I experienced was coaches putting best team out there, subbed when they could and all things equal seniors got preferance. I played fresh yr than back up OLINE until senior graduated. I harbored no ill will as he was better than i. Coaching was excellent, hardnosed, demanding etc. Coaches also worked hard, made the game fun and by working non starters in when they could they fielded rosters numbering 85-100 players. There were some players who saw very very very limited play but showed up and stuck it out just to be part of something big. I credit coaching for that.

Jun 11, 2013
Okay, on the other side of the coin, where is the incentive for the underclassmen to, at least, make the effort to improve

If you don't have the desire to improve in your life you have a bigger problem than how much PT you get in High School.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When I played FB way back when we had an 8 yr run deep into playoffs at our school. State finals runner up and one state championship. What I experienced was coaches putting best team out there, subbed when they could and all things equal seniors got preferance. I played fresh yr than back up OLINE until senior graduated. I harbored no ill will as he was better than i. Coaching was excellent, hardnosed, demanding etc. Coaches also worked hard, made the game fun and by working non starters in when they could they fielded rosters numbering 85-100 players. There were some players who saw very very very limited play but showed up and stuck it out just to be part of something big. I credit coaching for that.

Coaches do deserve credit for getting everyone to buy in. No doubt. But, winning and playing for championships year in year out makes that job easier as far as players embracing minor roles. Players getting limited playing time on crappy teams might rather work at Taco Bell.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Conversations like these are just one reason I think this site and the folks on it are a great resource. Personally, I base every decision on whether it's in the team's best interests or not. This is subjective decision making and it's fluid. Thin-skinned parents and big ego players may not be happy but my obligation is to the team and all of the players, not one or two. A lot of folks think coaching is easy and it can be with a loaded team and little opposition. But, if you want to claim the glory, you'd better be prepared to stand the heat. Coaches coach because they love the game they coach.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My point is that sometimes the skill of a player isn't the only contribution that a coach should consider. Sometimes there are players that are "heart and soul/glue" types. You see it a lot in sports, teams that have high turnover sometimes struggle and teams that spend a long time together have a bond. Sometimes, inserting a player into the mix destroys the chemistry that a team has.

I didn't say put the best skilled players on the field, right? And that's because a good coach understands that there are more things to consider than just skills when their goal is to put the best team on the field.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Every coach claims to do this. :) I don't doubt your credentials at all, but I'm just not sure what a coach means when he/she says this. I'm sure I've said it too.

This is where the problem of every parent being an expert comes into play. Our HS coach has, IMHO, made some questionable roster decisions, but I believe that he thought he was making the best decision for the team, and not trying to keep the president of the boosters happy. And I don't agree with his decision to leave some girls on the bench all of the time. But, unless you have a really strong reason to believe that a coach is making political decisions, I think you just need to hold your tongue and watch from the outfield fence.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This is where the problem of every parent being an expert comes into play. Our HS coach has, IMHO, made some questionable roster decisions, but I believe that he thought he was making the best decision for the team, and not trying to keep the president of the boosters happy. And I don't agree with his decision to leave some girls on the bench all of the time. But, unless you have a really strong reason to believe that a coach is making political decisions, I think you just need to hold your tongue and watch from the outfield fence.

True, but staying silent is probably even more important if his actions are motivated by ulterior motives if you ever want your kid to have PT. However, in the case where there aren't hidden agendas and the coach is honorable, a coach doing what he thinks is best for the team can still be wrong, a bad coach etc.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My wife is also a high school teacher, but at a small rural community school. She doesn't have to deal with political chaos of a state taking over a inner city school district, but she has felt the lack of support from the administration. She has to deal with state mandated testing and metrics that affect her reviews and pay. If she fails a kid or reports a kid for discipline, its recorded against her in her metrics and review.

But I still am going to say that this is two different things of a school board not supporting a teacher and an AD not supporting a coach because of a parent complaining about playing issues. This is huge apples and oranges comparison. Very different issues. The last thing an AD wants is drama with his coaches, especially over playing time. When you're talking about complaints about verbal abuse or any type of abuse, schools have to react to that type of stuff. And that is not a bad thing.

My perception is that coaches don't yell at the kids or verbally abuse them anymore. I went to school in the 80s, and I remember some coaches that get in your face and just yell and cuss. That coach is not around any more you cant do that type of stuff. Kids and sports are better off for it.

While I agree with many of your points, I personally know of several school systems in my area where the AD always side with the parents that complain. A perfect example is a trustee of the township where DD's local HS resides in. His DD came in as a Freshman and made JV. Her father wasn't happy with that. He complained and his DD became a starter on V at 3rd base even though she displaced a Junior that was far superior to her skill-wise and talent-wise. I could name you numerous other examples, not just from our HS team, but others in the area.

For example, I had a player in rec ball. She decided to go for the open enrollment at another HS because the school system she was in wasn't that good scholastically. She far outclassed any player on the field as far as speed, throwing, fielding and hitting goes. This girl could get to balls no one even thought of. She could be almost in left field and make a throw on a rope and get the fastest girl out at first. She also hit mostly doubles and triples because she was so fast. Stealing bases was a given since only one catcher could throw her out when she deigned to hit a single. As a Junior, she was supplanted because a parent complained loud enough to the AD and school board that her DD was a star and needed to be on the field. This player that she replaced could have easily been a P5 player had she had her stuff together enough to let those coaches be aware that she was interested in playing ball in college. Yet the AD and school board basically forced the coach into replacing her with this new player which, as much as I hate to say it, basically sucked. She couldn't field, her arm was just average, she struck out 27 for 28 times at bat and the only time she actually made contact with the ball was on a sacrifice bunt which she was thrown out on because she had feet of clay.

I could go on but I won't. When the administration, whether it's the principals, school board, AD, whatever, fail to support anyone including teachers and coaches, It's no wonder many of them are quitting and leaving the sports world let alone the classroom. Heck, DW wants to quit teaching altogether but can't because she has her Masters and is too expensive to hire in another school system after 20+ years. She's been looking for a corporate teaching or Data Entry job but in our economically depressed area, they are far and few between.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I have to get kids in bed but I do want to post a quick reply and then think about this excellent conversation. IMHO, winning and losing don't necessarily reflect a coach doing what's in the team's best interests. Nor does a lack of hidden agendas or a showing of honor. Nor do mere words or intent. So how about this - if, because of a coach's decision making based on what's best for the team, the team and its players continue on a day by day basis to show steady improvement. I'm speaking mentally, physically, emotionally, more situational awareness, more communication and teamwork, better decision making, increased skills, a certain joy derived from softball. Am I saying this correctly?