Syracuse.com Survey of Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
I don't understand why anyone with an athletic child would ever play HS ball. Track maybe if you can set a couple records either state or national.

Because kids like playing for their high school. I realize high schools can't be A level club teams, but they should be able to provide a good playing environment where the kids learn a little bit about being part of a team.

May 13, 2012
Because kids like playing for their high school. I realize high schools can't be A level club teams, but they should be able to provide a good playing environment where the kids learn a little bit about being part of a team.

Exactly , DD got offer to play spring ball with excellent coaching. She would rather play school if she survive the BS. For the skiLL set I would rather her play the travel but understand her side of it. Now if coaching starts this HE crap she is ready to move on.

Nov 3, 2012
Unfortunately, I have to disagree on this point. My DW is an inner city school teacher. The administration is mostly comprised of minorities. Until this year when the Governor got a law passed that totally bypassed the local school board and appointed a CEO, the administration made excuses for the kids not passing their grade levels and pushed them forward to the next grade level even though they never did homework, couldn't read at least 3 grade levels below what grade they were attending, failed most tests due to non parent study enforcement and multiple severe behavior issues. If there were behavior problems and the kids actually assaulted the teachers and were suspended for 10 days or expelled, all it took was one phone call to the local BOE and they were back in school the next day. If the teacher filed a complaint with the police over the incident, which they needed to do in order to get that particular child banned because the administration wouldn't back them up, the teacher was pretty much either sent to the worst school with behavior problems so they would quit or they were RIFfed (Reduction in Force i.e. laid off). If it was a school Principal, their contract was not renewed. Granted, this is in a pretty bad system but there are many worse out there that we are both aware of.

I can safely say that an AD not fighting against parents with Rose Colored Glasses on would not be far behind and Administration that won't even support their teachers so that they could actually do the jobs they are paid to do.

My wife is also a high school teacher, but at a small rural community school. She doesn't have to deal with political chaos of a state taking over a inner city school district, but she has felt the lack of support from the administration. She has to deal with state mandated testing and metrics that affect her reviews and pay. If she fails a kid or reports a kid for discipline, its recorded against her in her metrics and review.

But I still am going to say that this is two different things of a school board not supporting a teacher and an AD not supporting a coach because of a parent complaining about playing issues. This is huge apples and oranges comparison. Very different issues. The last thing an AD wants is drama with his coaches, especially over playing time. When you're talking about complaints about verbal abuse or any type of abuse, schools have to react to that type of stuff. And that is not a bad thing.

My perception is that coaches don't yell at the kids or verbally abuse them anymore. I went to school in the 80s, and I remember some coaches that get in your face and just yell and cuss. That coach is not around any more you cant do that type of stuff. Kids and sports are better off for it.

Nov 29, 2009
When you're talking about complaints about verbal abuse or any type of abuse, schools have to react to that type of stuff. And that is not a bad thing.

I agree that real abuse should not be allowed to happen in schools and sports. However, it can be subjective and manipulated too.

Several years back a coach for a smaller town local junior high took the team and won the state championship. His DD's played in a very strong travel program. He put the best players on the field. The best players were not the Booster Club President's DD, principal's DD or one of the other teacher's DD. During an interview with a local newspaper after the win he called his pitcher the "Horse" of the staff for shouldering the lion's share of the innings during the playoff run.

Well.... After the excitement was over the Principal orchestrated the ouster of the coach because of the "Horse" comment. It was said the girl's mother "upset and crying" over it. The girl was "upset" about. The School Board could not let a coach call a player a name. And it went on and on. Long story, short. They got rid of the coach and the team went back to sub-mediocrity and the complaining parents were happy.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA

Totally agree..."kids like playing for their high school". Sadly, and this point seems to be passed over to a large degree, often high school programs DO NOT provide a good playing environment for the kids. Whether they be high level experienced players, rec players or a newbie wanting to learn and enjoy the sport. Some coaches and the cultures they create do not foster team spirit or the love of the game. How many times does a kid need to learn the lesson that life isn't fair and not every coach knows whats best? Softball at many schools just gets ignored and isn't a big ticket sport so it ends up being basically ignored. If you have kids in this type of program or watch kids playing for a program like this it's just tough. Kudos to those coaches, AD's and programs that do a good job for our kids!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Even if it was a senior and the better player was a freshman?

I don't know if you can see where I'm going with this but this might be that seniors last year to play organized softball. Where the freshman has another 3 years to play.

A good coach puts the best team on the field. What's your point?

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I think the point is that seniors somehow deserve special status when it comes to playing time. I can understand the thinking to a point but the real point is that the best players are on the field, based on skill, attitude, and work ethic. I don't know how to coach any other way and this is just an honest self-assessment. Players who work hard to develop their skills need to be rewarded. It's what is right for the team.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I agree that real abuse should not be allowed to happen in schools and sports. However, it can be subjective and manipulated too.

Several years back a coach for a smaller town local junior high took the team and won the state championship. His DD's played in a very strong travel program. He put the best players on the field. The best players were not the Booster Club President's DD, principal's DD or one of the other teacher's DD. During an interview with a local newspaper after the win he called his pitcher the "Horse" of the staff for shouldering the lion's share of the innings during the playoff run.

Well.... After the excitement was over the Principal orchestrated the ouster of the coach because of the "Horse" comment. It was said the girl's mother "upset and crying" over it. The girl was "upset" about. The School Board could not let a coach call a player a name. And it went on and on. Long story, short. They got rid of the coach and the team went back to sub-mediocrity and the complaining parents were happy.

Wow, that's just sad. I imagine the girl was on the large side, so totally misinterpreted what was being said. Calling a player a horse (short for workhorse) is generally considered a compliment, and appreciation for a player going above and beyond the call of duty. Even if the comment was misunderstood, the coach should have been given the opportunity to explain it to those who apparently don't follow sports much.

You pretty much have to be going out of your way to be offended to take offense at that comment. Hopefully some more deserving school benefited from getting a great coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA