Swinging for contact after 2 strikes....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016

Yeah I saw some K's with two strikes..that is typically when they occur ;) Sometimes the pitcher wins..What else am I supposed to gleam from this? For all we know they were "swinging for contact" and just failed at it..

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Example of batters making adjustments. Batters make adjustments all the time.

Coach was trying to talk to the Batters about making adjustments.
think that's just a common hitting discussion of whether or not people think batters should make adjustments...
reality is they generally do whether they recognize they are or not.
Aka: timing and pitch location.

Oct 14, 2019
When would you ever not swing for contact, besides maybe a hit and run or steal situation?

Jun 8, 2016
When would you ever not swing for contact, besides maybe a hit and run or steal situation?
Of course everybody is trying to make contact (especially in a hit and run ;)). Really "swing for contact" is the ol choke up/shorten up idea...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Well there's been video posted recently of college coaches having their batters swing and miss on purpose.
Peculiar...since show bunt and pull back at least don't get the strike against the batter and can still hold the defense

Jun 8, 2016
Well there's been video posted recently of college coaches having their batters swing and miss on purpose.
Peculiar...since show bunt and pull back at least don't get the strike against the batter and can still hold the defense
I guess the assumption is that a swing messes with the catcher more? You would know better than I...If I was a hitter
and the coach gave me that, especially against a good pitcher, I might have to "miss" that sign and deal with the consequences later :LOL:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I know that recognizing what adjustments are harder for batters to make help me in Pitch calling.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I guess the assumption is that a swing messes with the catcher more? You would know better than I...If I was a hitter
and the coach gave me that, especially against a good pitcher, I might have to "miss" that sign and deal with the consequences later :LOL:
Actually I don't think it messes with the catcher more because we are used to catching the ball when Batters Swing.
However when the batter is swinging it can delay our reaction to receiving the pitch and throwing it. Just as it might delay the reaction of the defense getting to the bag. That is if they wait for the runner.
* receiving catching the pitch and going into the throw we want to happen as simultaneously as we can and in that initial moment we might even be going into the pitch ever so slightly before the pitch reaches us, that can be delayed when the batter is swinging. = tenths of seconds.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00