Swinging for contact after 2 strikes....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Don’t really follow the different approach argument. If the girl had special skills to be able to situationally change her swing, she probably wouldn’t have 2 strikes. It’s hard enough to get a hit without cluttering the mind. I advocate an aggressive approach from the first pitch unless P can’t throw strikes. What does protect the plate even mean? It’s like telling the P to throw a strike.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm 🤔
People have different approaches simply stepping in the Box at 0-0.
How they got to two strikes in the Box is very relevant in this discussion.

Some thoughts to that

If the lineup is tanking over a season and players are hitting below .180
try something different
anything
but try it.

It could be unreasonable for a batter to stand in the Box being completely outmatched and do nothing to make an adjustment.

Batters make adjustments all the time. That and some hitting mechanics force greater adjustments in hard situations. Making that less complicated could be a reasonable adjustment in shortening the swing.
(Without seeing what the swing looks like, or how much of an adjustment would be, hard to assume)

The best example of seeing different tools in the Box are watching Triple Threat hitter / slappers.
Those tools are not only for lefties.

Jun 11, 2013
For the most part I don't think you should switch up. However, there are times when getting the ball in play is very important. These are times when the approach can change. It's really no different of a skill then bunting. You can shorten up and put it in play. The kids at a decent level can do this when needed. Some will never do it, others will often do it. That doesn't mean you do it every time you get 2 strikes but you should be able to do it. It's also useful if you are just getting blown away by a pitcher. At least make them make a play.

Oct 14, 2019
For the most part I don't think you should switch up. However, there are times when getting the ball in play is very important. These are times when the approach can change. It's really no different of a skill then bunting. You can shorten up and put it in play. The kids at a decent level can do this when needed. Some will never do it, others will often do it. That doesn't mean you do it every time you get 2 strikes but you should be able to do it. It's also useful if you are just getting blown away by a pitcher. At least make them make a play.
If you’re getting blown away, probably need to bunt.

Sep 19, 2018
understanding this might be too advanced for 10U or even a lot of 12U players. By 14U platers should be able to think a little in the box. I like aggressive hitting too. But when you are up 2-0 there is no need to swing at a pitch at the knees on the outside black. You look fast ball middle in (or whatever is your preference). If you don't get it, you let it go. With two strikes you can't do that. If you want to make sure to put the ball in play, you have to sit a little longer to see change up or whatever.

Many at the MLB level (many young ladies at the collegiate level as well), don't need to square up the ball to hit homers. OK, so perhaps those hitters can keep the swing for the fences mentality. But players that can't hit homers or need to really square up a ball to do so, I don't believe that the MLB approach would be best for them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At 48 seconds in
Can see left-handed batter Mackenzie Barbara putting a smack on the ball. The announcer called it a slap, however her bat path was not a half a swing.
She just didn't engage fully her body and hips as much as she can.
Also now Mackenzie is not a lefty slapper type hitter. She is a big Crusher.
But can see her make a controlled would call a shorter swing adjustment than her normal swing.
(do not know count on the batter at this moment just showing as an example. Mac full swing would rotate her hips and torso a lot more)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00