Swinging for contact after 2 strikes....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
Do you teach your kids a different swing with 2 strikes? Like maybe a shorter swing just to try and put the ball in play? My kid is being taught that, so curious as to how others feel. I'm not sure I agree necessarily.

May 17, 2012
I don't teach it. If it is being taught the numbers suggest it isn't working. Also, why not use this approach with no strikes or one strike?

There are a million different ways you can get to two strikes and that doesn't mean your mechanics are wrong.

Having said that....there are situations where you absolutely positively have to put the ball in play. That's AB specific and not count specific.

Feb 13, 2018
I don't teach it. If it is being taught the numbers suggest it isn't working. Also, why not use this approach with no strikes or one strike?

There are a million different ways you can get to two strikes and that doesn't mean your mechanics are wrong.

Having said that....there are situations where you absolutely positively have to put the ball in play. That's AB specific and not count specific.

I feel the same way mostly.....didn't know if maybe they try to do this is baseball or something? I don't feel like girls are typically going up there everytime with the intention of hitting home runs or something and totally over swinging or going to early.. idk that certainly wasn't my experience playing

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
The swing should be the same. It's the decision to swing that changes a bit. With zero or 1 strike, the hitter should be looking for something at or very near their "wheelhouse". With two strikes, the bat needs to be put on anything that could be called strike three.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Hard enough to get hitters to be sound with one swing. Teaching a separate set of (worse) mechanics doesn't seem wise.

As others have said, changing approach somewhat could work for some hitters. I tend to disagree with expanding the zone. Swing at strikes; if an umpire rings you up on a pitch out of the zone, it happens. But you should go from looking for your pitch in a very specific part of the zone (and, possibly, a certain type of pitch) to being ready for anything in the zone.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Please for the love of all that is Holy and Good, do not have two swings, or freak out the hitter with two approaches (the first approach was no good??)

Just get up there and do what you do, and hit a double.

May 20, 2015
Please for the love of all that is Holy and Good, do not have two swings, or freak out the hitter with two approaches (the first approach was no good??)

Just get up there and do what you do, and hit a double.

so a batter should have the same approach 0-0, 2-0, 3-2, 0-2 and 3-0???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00