Sudden Swing vs Get To Your Spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is it fair to ask you the same question?

Yes, for me its from experience as a player and a coach. So I have no problem connecting the dots of what's being said. I have seen way to many kids who were good for one pitch speed.. All you had to do as a pitcher is show them you could control the off-speed pitch and mentally they knew they were in trouble.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The (main) attribute that causes great hitters to fall off as they get older is probably the same thing that makes thinking offspeed and adjusting to the fastball not work for everybody...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Buck beating the pitch to his position of leverage. Neither the catcher or Buck had an idea where the pitch was going at this point.

hzaMuAW.gif
How would they have no idea where the pitch was going at this point? In general the hitters foot is at toe touch at ball half way.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, for me its from experience as a player and a coach. So I have no problem connecting the dots of what's being said.

If you move out to a spot to hit fastball as your approach, You cannot adjust to offspeed. You will have no balance or bat left. See Matt Carpenter and Cody and Yelich. If you move out on time for fastball but don’t exhaust the stride early you can adjust. It’s really that simple. Within that approach you’re setting a course for off speed but then getting your foot down early for heat. Hank calls it one thing. Ted called it being quick. This new approach has killed hitters averages and contact rates.

Jun 8, 2016
If you move out to a spot to hit fastball as your approach, You cannot adjust to offspeed. You will have no balance or bat left. See Matt Carpenter and Cody and Yelich. If you move out on time for fastball but don’t exhaust the stride early you can adjust. It’s really that simple. Within that approach you’re setting a course for off speed but then getting your foot down early for heat. Hank calls it one thing. Ted called it being quick. This new approach has killed hitters averages and contact rates.
Not many hitters SAID what Hank did. That is approach. Now mechanics are a different story.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Absolutely false !! It's a dynamic movement. You don't shift then stop and restart.

Oct 2, 2017
They have committed to there zone regardless of where the pitch is going.
Ok, that makes a little more sense. In my mind that would be saying that the player before the ball is even pitched is moving out to a pre-determined spot.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Ok, that makes a little more sense. In my mind that would be saying that the player before the ball is even pitched is moving out to a pre-determined spot.

Yes, they are shifting dynamically while anticipating for the zone they are covering. Its why the avg go down with 2 strikes.

QdUHqfz.gif

MkGswH3.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi