Substitution Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Hi all-

I was wondering if there was an easy guide available online somewhere on the substitution rules in ASA play (I've googled it but haven't found a good source). We have a great coach for our 10u All Star team, however having just come up from 8u this year and using round robin batting for the regular season, he is unsure of how substitutions work. Last year we also had a new coach coming from a different organization (Bobby Sox) that wasn't familiar with some of the rules, so I served as the "translator" for him, by reading the rules and explaining them to him. I would do the same with this coach, except I don't even have access to the rulebook (and he doesn't appear to either!).

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2011
Cactus Umpires online has a good explanation of the rules using a sample lineup card. It explains substitutions, courtesy runners and dp/flex positions.

Jun 22, 2008
Straight substitution rules are pretty easy. Once a player occupies a position in the batting order, that is the only place they can bat. A player and their substitute can never be in the batting order at the same time. Each player has 1 re-entry.

Now when you get into using the DP/Flex, things can get a little more confusing and that is where you probably need to go through the cactus umpires power point several times to get a grasp on it.

Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for the info! I went to print it and realized it was a huge document so I ended up doing 9 slides to a page! A lot of good, good information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug