Umps not knowing rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Great find! and thanks for the link. It is always helpful to know the rationale behind rules changes so as umpires we can rule on both the letter and intent of the law.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Unfortunately, trying to find a readable copy of USA softball rulebook online is difficult at best. They seem to only post changes without knowing what the base edition is. If anyone knows where a combined, current edition of the USA rule book can be found online, I, for one, would appreciate a link.
It is available as an app, unfortunately you have to pay for it.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@texasheat you are correct, I did not notice who your earlier post was directed to. That being said, rather than ad hominem attacks, why don't we discuss the issues of the thread? I asked earlier for more information that was, I presume inadvertently, left out of you comments about the 'terrible' umpire. Her mechanics may have been terrible, but the amount an umpire has to squat is dependent on several factors .The keys to a good position behind the plate include, does the umpire have an unobstructed view of the entire strike zone and is that view consistent from one pitch to the next, in other words, is it the same angle and distance. Most umpires will try to locate their eyes at the top of the zone and have one of their eyes or their nose in line with the inside edge of the plate. How much he or she has to lower him or herself is dependent on their own height and the height of the batter. In addition, the mechanics manuals recommend that the umpire's chin not be lower than the top of the catcher's helmet. Sometimes, these goals are exclusive of one another, in which case, IMO, having the clear view of as much of the strike zone as is practical is the more important factor.

You're always in such a rush to blame the parents or coaches you completely fail to see the blatant failure of the umpire.

I rush to answer questions posed on this forum to help get a proper understanding of the rules out. I often make the incorrect assumption that all of the relevant information was included in the OP, sometimes it isn't. I have often been told there are three sides to every story, side A, side B, and what really happened Once an umpire's failure has been identified I have been and always will be happy to acknowledge it, even (no, especially) my own in the hopes of getting all umpires to the top of their game. It is what all of the players deserve.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lastly while knowing the rules is a major aspect of being a good official. it is just one aspect of officiating. Just knowing the rules doesn't automatically make you a good official - there is a lot more to it in terms of game management, professionalism, experience and so on.
That should be the FIRST point made in every official rule book.
*Knowing the rules doesnt
automatically make you a good official.*

Feb 13, 2021
MI
That should be the FIRST point made in every official rule book.
*Knowing the rules doesnt
automatically make you a good official.*

I will disagree, just because that seems to be what I do, but only as a matter of degree and meaning.

Knowing the rules will make you a competent official. It is the other things the marriard mentions, game management, situation management, professionalism that make you an above average, or elite official., You can get by without the other things but without rules knowledge you are sunk before you even get started.

Mar 28, 2014
but the amount an umpire has to squat is dependent on several factors .The keys to a good position behind the plate include, does the umpire have an unobstructed view of the entire strike zone and is that view consistent from one pitch to the next, in other words, is it the same angle and distance. Most umpires will try to locate their eyes at the top of the zone and have one of their eyes or their nose in line with the inside edge of the plate. How much he or she has to lower him or herself is dependent on their own height and the height of the batter. In addition, the mechanics manuals recommend that the umpire's chin not be lower than the top of the catcher's helmet. Sometimes, these goals are exclusive of one another, in which case, IMO, having the clear view of as much of the strike zone as is practical is the more important factor.
Ed do really you think I don't know that? You've only been here 6 weeks so you don't really know the audience yet but for some reason you seem to assume that we're all a bunch of dummies. How about this. Try doing the opposite. Try assuming that I know exactly how an umpire should set up and that I can easily tell if they aren't doing so.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I will disagree, just because that seems to be what I do, but only as a matter of degree and meaning.

Knowing the rules will make you a competent official. It is the other things the marriard mentions, game management, situation management, professionalism that make you an above average, or elite official., You can get by without the other things but without rules knowledge you are sunk before you even get started.
I will disagree

Screenshot_2021-04-05-08-24-49-1.png
The rule book catagorizes what to look for.
The individual human has to learn to deal with people, situations, conflicts. As previously mentioned.
Add all the rules in those real time decisions...
There is deffinetly a learning curve beyond the rule book that should be addressed!

As i interpret this,
Not everyone is cut out to be an umpire.
Just because somebody can be good at reading a rule book, and remembering it.
Plus apply staying up to date with rules.
Doesnt mean they can handle the interaction aspect of the job.
That said, a person who can already handle the 'stage' of handling people. Because managing people is not in the rulebook. This type of person is already way ahead on the umpiring gig befor even reading the rulebook.

So heads up befor reading that book...
Who reads this is posibly more important than whats in this book.
*knowing the rules doesnt automatically make you a good official*

Last edited: