Strike? Foul Ball? HBP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Batter swings at pitch

Batter misses pitch

Pitch hits batters hands while swinging & missing pitch

What's the correct call on the pitch?

Strike?

Foul ball?

HBP?

Other?

Thanks,

T

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! It was against our OWN batter....but nobody would listen to me....[the umpires called it a foul ball] even the other coach said it's a foul ball because the hands are part of the bat...all I did was shake my head. He kind of embarrassed me in front of his own coaches...but deep down I knew I was right. The hands are NOT part of the bat...EVER...correct???

Jun 22, 2008
As some umpires like to say. Have you ever seen a bat for sale with hands attached to it?

Jan 3, 2014
Yesterday in a game, batter squared to bunt, made an attempt to lay the bunt down, and got hit square in the chest with a screwball. "Dead ball, take your base." *sigh*

Mar 2, 2013
I agree with what others wrote, but there is need for some clarity in the actual play. There is a difference between getting hit after the batter has swung and getting hit while the batter is swinging. Assuming it was not in the strike zone, in order for it to be called a strike, the batter must have actually swung at the time of contact. Any follow through after contact is 100%, unequivocally irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00