Strike? Foul Ball? HBP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I see you neatly sidestepped Umpire's issue! But I'm not gonna let you off the hook so easily - Do you similarly recognize a distinction between "while swinging" and "swung" when it comes to a HBP scenario?

Wasn't sidestepping anything because i wasn't addressing that question and hadn't been involved in discussing at all up until this point.

My take is the same as what Comp has posted in post #25.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
So what you mean is if the batter is merely loading you can't call that a swing. Why didn't you just say that.

You have to be told that? Have you never seen this game we are talking about? And, for what it's worth, which apparently isn't much with you, I've said that in about 3 different ways so far.

Mar 2, 2013
Your terminology muddied the waters. I surely would not consider a small movement of the bat to be "swinging" as you seemingly do. To us, "is swinging" would be judged as an attempt to hit the ball (i.e. a swing) and early movements alone would not meet the criteria. Therefore, your terminology suggests a batter that is attempting to hit the ball is different than a batter that has already COMPLETED their attempt to hit the ball. Hence, our request for clarification.

That may apply to some, but not me. I've spent and continue to spend a considerable amount of time in the ASA, NFHS and NCAA rule books. I've also learned a lot over the years from knowledgeable umpires on forums like this one. That has been very helpful because rule books alone are unfortunately insufficient due to the amount of additional official info that is disseminated and not incorporated into the rule books.

Your example is all wet for several reasons. Based on your previous terminology, getting out of the car is changing the tire.

In all seriousness Richard, quit blaming others - it's you.

Forget Latin, it appears that English is dead too.

Mar 2, 2013
I see you neatly sidestepped Umpire's issue! But I'm not gonna let you off the hook so easily - Do you similarly recognize a distinction between "while swinging" and "swung" when it comes to a HBP scenario?

There is no "hook." Many experienced umpires are on this forum and field questions from strangers. There are other forums that are geared more toward sports officials, rather than fans, players and coaches. Many of us belong to them too. Those of us experienced umpires who come on here regularly answer questions that are posed to us. We take time to answer YOUR questions. Often, we give several different ruling depending on the association involved. We don't owe anyone anything. My goal is to provide support, give interpretations, help kill myths and talk about some of the philosophies behind rules so that people better understand them (e.g., why isn't the infield fly rule in effect with only R1 on first base? Why is a batter who bunts foul with two strikes out? Why is the uncaught (dropped) third strike rule in effect when 1st base is occupied with two outs but not fewer than two outs?) You can accept it or reject it. I won't lose any sleep. If you spoke to me on the field the way you do on this forum, I would embarrass the hell out of you and make you ashamed to walk by your team on the way out the door upon your ejection.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There is no "hook." Many experienced umpires are on this forum and field questions from strangers. There are other forums that are geared more toward sports officials, rather than fans, players and coaches. Many of us belong to them too. Those of us experienced umpires who come on here regularly answer questions that are posed to us. We take time to answer YOUR questions. Often, we give several different ruling depending on the association involved. We don't owe anyone anything. My goal is to provide support, give interpretations, help kill myths and talk about some of the philosophies behind rules so that people better understand them (e.g., why isn't the infield fly rule in effect with only R1 on first base? Why is a batter who bunts foul with two strikes out? Why is the uncaught (dropped) third strike rule in effect when 1st base is occupied with two outs but not fewer than two outs?) You can accept it or reject it. I won't lose any sleep. If you spoke to me on the field the way you do on this forum, I would embarrass the hell out of you and make you ashamed to walk by your team on the way out the door upon your ejection.

A very professional approach indeed.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You have to be told that? Have you never seen this game we are talking about? And, for what it's worth, which apparently isn't much with you, I've said that in about 3 different ways so far.

Have I seen the game you describe where a girl who is hit in the head while swinging the bat with arms extended is deemed to not be swinging the bat. No I have not seen that game.

Mar 2, 2013
Have I seen the game you describe where a girl who is hit in the head while swinging the bat with arms extended is deemed to not be swinging the bat. No I have not seen that game.

Get out more often. Maybe you will see one hit in the thigh. Will that suffice? What a joke.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207