Exactly how to get power to opposite field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't believe there is a fundamental change in the swing.

Stay in posture. Stay "on" the ball. Don't pull off the ball. However you want to phrase it, I think that's probably the most important thing. On an inside pitch, you can be successful even if you come out of posture a bit.

I think the other thing is being able to let the ball get deep enough while still being quick enough to the ball to drive it.

What I've found interesting is that a lot of my hitters who are not very good about engaging their legs/getting the back hip turned are much better at driving the ball the opposite way. They get a pitch up and away and can really do something with it, but inner half gives them trouble.

Aug 20, 2017
Can’t hit oppo with a down and across path. Got to work from the inside and slightly up. Down and across have to be out front hitters to have success. Can’t let the ball travel deep enough to barrel it oppo. It’s hitting mechnaics 💯

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Have to let ball get deeper. Keep front shoulder closed longer. Visualize the bat as a long hammer and a nail pointed to RF sticking out of the ball. Drive the nail in straight. Don't cut across and bend the nail.
Another cue:
Where the hitters belly button points is where the ball goes. So when hitting the outside pitch oppo the hitters belly button stops rotating when it is pointed at the 2nd baseman and the barrel is released/thrown in the same direction.

Sep 8, 2015
Same swing. Direct rotation to opposite field (don’t over rotate) and let the hands go earlier. It’s what I teach. It works for my kid. Might not work for everyone.

Approach also helps. Expect everything outside. Finish the rotation on the inside pitch and don’t let the hands go early.

Oct 26, 2019
I like the queue to pull the ball to the opposite field. You are still throwing the barrel like you do to the poolside just with oppo direction and a deeper point of contact. Definitely a feel thing for the hitter.

Jul 1, 2022
I think you need 3 things to hit oppo for power

1. Good posture
2. High bat speed
3. Letting the ball get deep

Early this season my daughter pulled everything, dropped the barrel on the load and swung around. Now her posture is a bit better and is letting the ball. Get deeper and can sometimes drive it oppo.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I feel like I am seeing more and more Division 1 hitters hitting the outside pitch to center field for Homeruns. I am referring to the outside pitch where the entire ball is still over the plate but it is on the outside 1/5 of the plate. You don't necessarily need to let the ball get that deep to hit the pitch i am describing to center field for power.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Approach also helps. Expect everything outside. Finish the rotation on the inside pitch and don’t let the hands go early.

My concern is this could make players late on inside pitches.

Since you let the outside pitch get (slightly) deeper than the inside pitch, if you're looking outside on a particular pitch, I'd want my hitter to have the discipline to just let inside pitches go unless she's talented enough to adjust or the pitcher doesn't throw hard enough for it to matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67