Strength training vs Pitching reps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
you said it "might be" so I was providing counter arguments, not specifically to you, but to the thread as a whole and felt everyone could understand that my comment stemmed directly from the comment above it, because as you say, "Reading comprehension"

to the point, It's not always easy to identify what are good pitching reps. Yes, you can work on that without an opponent, but the person in question is already throwing a few times a week. And I think the "what other pitching adjacent things can we do" is a good and useful question.
I was making a comparison about transfer from practice to game.

From a physical standpoint it is non-reactionary. Just like free throws and we know some people suck at those even with tons of practice so yes there is more to it than just physical skill..I pitched past t-ball… I know the mental demands of pitching.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023
The point was to prioritize (good) pitching reps. There are only so many hours in the day. Of all the athletic skills pitching might be the one you can get the most benefit from by just practicing without having an opponent. The skill is completely non-reactionary. Even shooting a basketball, which might be a close second, is different when you have a defender in your face..

Washerman’s Youngblood program is a good starting strength program.
Appreciate it. I'll have a look at the reccomended material.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
You need both reps and strength training, as well as a good PC. You need the strength to be able to be mechanically sound, otherwise kids will have to compensate in other ways. An example would be bad glovehand swimming, which is used to act as a break due to a lack of core strength.

At younger ages, motions will continue to evolve. Heck, even what is being taught is constantly evolving as well.

Our 12u team has 2 pitchers under 105lbs that can hit 60mph and cruise high 50s. They both lift, but you wouldn’t know it by looking at them. Lift more off-season (3-4 days a week), but don’t stop in season (1-2 days a week).

Jun 8, 2016
You need both reps and strength training, as well as a good PC. You need the strength to be able to be mechanically sound, otherwise kids will have to compensate in other ways. An example would be bad glovehand swimming, which is used to act as a break due to a lack of core strength.

At younger ages, motions will continue to evolve. Heck, even what is being taught is constantly evolving as well.

Our 12u team has 2 pitchers under 105lbs that can hit 60mph and cruise high 50s. They both lift, but you wouldn’t know it by looking at them. Lift more off-season (3-4 days a week), but don’t stop in season (1-2 days a week).
I nominate you for team recruiting coordinator in a few years.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As someone who goes to the gym frequently, I see a massive improvement in my overall athletic ability when I'm stronger. But.. I dont pitch and don't play baseball. .my question being how Important is strength and condition but seeing the 2 replies to my question, it seems simply reps is superior.

Obviously, she needs good instruction. She needs to be throwing the ball correctly.

Pitching requires ridiculous and insane eye-hand coordination. Here's an example. One of the guys here had a DD who pitched for Alabama. He walked in one day and she was practicing throwing at a knotted rope hanging from the ceiling. She was hitting it every time. He said, "Good job!" She said, "No, it's not. I'm supposed to hit the knot and make the rope kick left."

There are no short cuts to being "good" at pitching. She's got to throw 3 times a week, 40 weeks of the year, for several years to be "good" at it.

If she doesn't, her control won't develop. And control is everything in pitching. Your DD will never get the ball if she walks batters.

Sep 19, 2018
My 14yo dd started strength training this winter between basketball ending and the start of softball.

Her first couple of weeks she had different soreness on each side. So there were definite imbalances.

Her pitching coach saw better balance and consistency in landing and finishing. I can’t speak to velocity because she is all over the place.

Slightly off topic, She got a blast for Christmas. within a month there was a consistent 2mph increase in bat speed. Within 3 months (including a warranty replacement ghost adv that is .6 oz lighter) there was a 5-6 mph increase.

Jan 28, 2017
Of course reps are important and she will be growing at this age and changing. Body weight exercises promote body awareness and can be very helpful, IMO. A combination of both are best IMO.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Pitching is hard. You need a combination of physical conditioning and a lot of reps. While you might develop with just the reps, the strength training will make you better and stronger.

I'll use my golf analogy in regards to pitching. I had to practice golf for years just to stink at it. Pitching is no different.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse