Stop Squishing the Bug

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2013
I think they hijacked your post.... Great question, I hope you get an answer.

The question was "Does anyone have any drills to get players to stop the 'squishing the bug' and get them on their toe during contact?"

Do you believe there should be a goal of getting on the rear toe during contact?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sure there are drills to stop bug squish, but especially as of late, we have seen kids fixing problems with band aids. Then the band aids create other problems. Teach the kids a good swing pattern, and put band aid out of business.

Aug 28, 2012
I think they hijacked your post.... Great question, I hope you get an answer.

Not so much a post hijacking as a indirect way of saying "you are asking the wrong question and/or missing a bigger picture".

IMO, the gist of the posts that you say are "hijacking" is.... You don't fix squishing the bug with drills that promote getting on the toe. Squishing the bug is part of a larger "wrong pattern" issue. One needs to identify and understand the problem with the "wrong pattern" and then realize there is ultimately no amount of "fixes" / drills that will make the "wrong pattern", "right". One needs to get the pattern right first, then work on ones deficiencies within the correct pattern.

See the right pattern.

Stereogram_Tut_Animated_Shark.gif

Cheers!
NoonTime

Feb 3, 2013
RHC is correct, there are recent examples of people taking steps backwards while going after faulty goals.

Hence the question. Is getting up on the rear toe at contact a good goal?

Jan 12, 2013
Not so much a post hijacking as a indirect way of saying "you are asking the wrong question and/or missing a bigger picture".

IMO, the gist of the posts that you say are "hijacking" is.... You don't fix squishing the bug with drills that promote getting on the toe. Squishing the bug is part of a larger "wrong pattern" issue. One needs to identify and understand the problem with the "wrong pattern" and then realize there is ultimately no amount of "fixes" / drills that will make the "wrong pattern", "right". One needs to get the pattern right first, then work on ones deficiencies within the correct pattern.

See the right pattern.

Stereogram_Tut_Animated_Shark.gif

Cheers!
NoonTime

Okay... so what’s the pattern or big picture that I am missing? No, the goal is not to get on the toe. The goal is to correctly transfer weight to generate optimal power.

My question simply is how do you eliminate rotational tendencies. It’s not about the toe... that is just a ‘sign’ that they are doing it correctly. For example... the ‘hitters power drive’ teaches the weight transfer that I am trying to teach. Just was wondering if anyone had ideas/techniques they use with their girls....

Arizona hitting coordinator Alan Cockrell talk about Hitters Power Drive - YouTube

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Blazer, Jay -

If you swing in the correct pattern, the rear foot will commonly come up onto the toe. If you swing in a poor pattern, a common symptom can be squishing of the bug. (Often because it is taught!)

Outright teaching to squish the bug will almost ensure poor pattern.

Outright teaching getting onto the big toe will ensure almost nothing with regard to pattern.

When I saw this thread, I buried my face into my hands. Discussion in this format is not beneficial, IMO, at this time. I am writing a book. I am not posting here trying to sell it. I just want kids to have the best chance to be successful and when I see that not happening, I do things like bury my face into my hands.

Saw an awesome quote today that made me smile:
"You can't learn something until you accept you don't know it."

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01