Stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2013
When does it become important for possible college recruiting that you start gathering stats? Her team keeps a book just wondering when I need to start

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is pretty much irrelevant as the vast majority of college coaches have little confidence in their accuracy and they are unable to place the stats into any meaningful context. There is no way to use stats from TB or especially HS to gauge how a prospect will perform at the next level. Unfortunately as a parent any stats you personally provide will be highly suspect.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
When I was going throught the process they were never even asked for. Level of competition even between school areas is so different that stats could easily be inflated and sometimes its hard to tell. Also, some players are playing B level teams in their area and their stats can't be compared with someone playing a rigorous schedule.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Stats are too subjective to have significant influence on college coaches - home runs may be the only meaningful stat, and even those can be skewed by the level of pitching a batter faces.

Sep 30, 2013
Anyone who really believes a player stats don’t matter in the process of choosing players for higher levels of play is either stupid, extremely ignorant, or most likely simply not thinking the process through. Here’s a question for those who believe the stats are useless in the selection process. How do players get picked if not on their performances on the field?

Now do I believe anyone’s plowing through reams of stats trying to compare players? Not for a second. Not because they wouldn’t if there were one place to get accurate information the way there is for MLB, but because there isn’t, and that’s where the disconnect occurs. There’s really little problem comparing players on the same team because they play the same opponents under the same conditions.

But there aren’t usually more than 2 players at each position to consider, and a higher level team is trying to sift through hundreds of players to consider them for the same position. How could anyone compare a player from a 3,000 student HS in SoCal who plays 150 games a season on a TB team and another 50 with the HS team, with one from a 200 student HS in ND who gets to play a third of that at best? It can’t be done with any degree of accuracy using stats.

But, what stats can do is make people aware that players are doing something exceptional, even if all those exceptional players’ performances aren’t equal. IOW, the process has to start someplace, and that’s how players get identified as exceptional. Once that happens, the process gets more difficult because it comes down to actually seeing the players play and evaluating them using one’s own criteria.

As for the OP, it depends. If the player is only looking to play relatively locally where they’re well known, the stats really don’t do a lot to help. But, if the player lives in NY and is trying to get noticed by a school in La., that’s a different story. How would the coach in La. know a player in NY is a power hitter or truly top notch pitcher? IOW, the situation dictates what goes into the resume`.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Anyone who really believes a player stats don’t matter in the process of choosing players for higher levels of play is either stupid, extremely ignorant, or most likely simply not thinking the process through. Here’s a question for those who believe the stats are useless in the selection process. How do players get picked if not on their performances on the field?

Now do I believe anyone’s plowing through reams of stats trying to compare players? Not for a second. Not because they wouldn’t if there were one place to get accurate information the way there is for MLB, but because there isn’t, and that’s where the disconnect occurs. There’s really little problem comparing players on the same team because they play the same opponents under the same conditions.

But there aren’t usually more than 2 players at each position to consider, and a higher level team is trying to sift through hundreds of players to consider them for the same position. How could anyone compare a player from a 3,000 student HS in SoCal who plays 150 games a season on a TB team and another 50 with the HS team, with one from a 200 student HS in ND who gets to play a third of that at best? It can’t be done with any degree of accuracy using stats.

But, what stats can do is make people aware that players are doing something exceptional, even if all those exceptional players’ performances aren’t equal. IOW, the process has to start someplace, and that’s how players get identified as exceptional. Once that happens, the process gets more difficult because it comes down to actually seeing the players play and evaluating them using one’s own criteria.

As for the OP, it depends. If the player is only looking to play relatively locally where they’re well known, the stats really don’t do a lot to help. But, if the player lives in NY and is trying to get noticed by a school in La., that’s a different story. How would the coach in La. know a player in NY is a power hitter or truly top notch pitcher? IOW, the situation dictates what goes into the resume`.

Maybe? Perhaps?

Two real life stories during my DD's senior year:

Girl A, breaks the Memphis metro BA record with a .650+ season.

Girl B, breaks the Alabama state stolen base record. ( 80+ )

Now, which one of the two got any college offers? The one that did, how do you think she did at the next level? I'll answer in a couple of hours, got some errands to run.

Sep 30, 2013
GOINGDEEP,

You’re trying to generalize what happens with tens of thousands of players across the country and hundreds of schools by what happened to 2 players, and that’s good for nothing other than a good story. As I said, the situation dictates what happens.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Anyone who really believes a player stats don’t matter in the process of choosing players for higher levels of play is either stupid, extremely ignorant, or most likely simply not thinking the process through.`.

Is that kind of tone really necessary? Couldn't you just say "I don't agree that stats don't matter. In my experience they do..."?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission