split hand grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Being totally sarcastic here;

If I blink my eyes faster my hips will turn better.

What the heck do the grip and hips have to do with each other? She says the key to the grip is the hips. WHAT?!!?

Yes, the split grip MAY help get both hands involved in throwing the barrel, and it may provide more leverage in doing so.

I guess the theory is to make the hitter swing the bat using the forces that you would use with a 4 ended lug wrench when changing a car tire. You apply force in opposite directions around the point between the hands. But, you should do that anyway, whether your hands are split or not.

She could be right, in that the split gets the bottom hand involved for a hitter who is using just the top, but the hips have no effect on this movement. Yes, all hitters should lead with the hips. All hitters should use both hands to throw the barrel, but you don't need a split grip to accomplish those moves.

Agree, in my mind the split grip would not produce a swing as fast as the normal/proper grip. The only way to tell for sure is to experiment and measure swing speed using both grips and compare.

T

theaddition

I like the drill but would not use it during a game.

Does fastpitch trainer suggest using this grip during a game?

I don't beleive so. We've used it a little as a drill only.
I wouldn't want a hitter to use it in a game.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Doesn't Yeager mention this grip in learning to throw the bat? Getting the feel of what the hands are doing during throwing the barrel.I could be wrong.

Yes, Doc has a decent progression of drills that encourage usage and synchronization of the top hand, and the split grip drill is one of the drills he uses along the way to bringing the hands together to throw the barrel. The logic is pretty much as you've stated ... to give the hitter more of a feel for the functionality of each hand.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Listened to two different sec coaches say they encourage some of their girls do it with two strikes, it gives more bat control. Most of the split grippers will do the face the pitcher thing at release also.

Mar 31, 2011
Started to see it last year in Tamu girls. I think they were the first ones. DD's BC switched her to it after talking to tamu coaches. Still do not know the logic in it but she likes it and thinks she has more control of the bat. I say nothing, cause if she thinks it helps, then it helps (plus I know nothing).

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009

Forget the split grip, at the end of this demo she says the goal is not to follow through but to stop at contact ("they don't teach acceleration through contact or that follow-through"). That's an even bigger difference vs. traditional swing than the grip...see the game footage at the end of the clip, I had to view it twice to see her stopping at contact.

If anyone doubts that hot bats make softball a different game than baseball, think about how a MLB player would fare if they essentially stopped at contact.

I don't understand why softball coaches feel the need to invent these crazy, restrictive hitting styles. Are they bored? Do they need to show their genius?

It's hard enough to coach and challenging enough to learn to put a proper "full" swing together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1