split hand grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
I have noticed this year that their seems to be quite a few split grip hitters on some prominate d1 teams, i have always tried to discourage that in a hitter, is it something that should be left alone, it seems with as much talent as some of these players have it would be easy for them to change to a conventional grip.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
jhsndx.gif

Apr 15, 2012
This is very interesting. I have also noticed some of the girls using the split grip. I can't wait to hear the science behind it and the discussion to come. Here's a video I found on a drill.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010

Being totally sarcastic here;

If I blink my eyes faster my hips will turn better.

What the heck do the grip and hips have to do with each other? She says the key to the grip is the hips. WHAT?!!?

Yes, the split grip MAY help get both hands involved in throwing the barrel, and it may provide more leverage in doing so.

I guess the theory is to make the hitter swing the bat using the forces that you would use with a 4 ended lug wrench when changing a car tire. You apply force in opposite directions around the point between the hands. But, you should do that anyway, whether your hands are split or not.

She could be right, in that the split gets the bottom hand involved for a hitter who is using just the top, but the hips have no effect on this movement. Yes, all hitters should lead with the hips. All hitters should use both hands to throw the barrel, but you don't need a split grip to accomplish those moves.

Last edited:
T

theaddition

This is very interesting. I have also noticed some of the girls using the split grip. I can't wait to hear the science behind it and the discussion to come. Here's a video I found on a drill.

Fastpitch trainer is the real deal.
We've used his drill series for 2 years.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Doesn't Yeager mention this grip in learning to throw the bat? Getting the feel of what the hands are doing during throwing the barrel.I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes