Slamming the door.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
This has been a constant battle for me to get my DD to stay open more. What are some good drills I can use to work this out? I've been trying to make some changes to her motion. She was using the big bent waist backswing like Abbott. I'm trying to convert her to more of an upright motion. Since I've started changing her motion she closes to early causing her left foot to step to the left of the powerline. I had her do some K's with her back against a fence today so she can't crank her shoulder sideways. It seemed to help.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I just suggested wall work in a glove swimming thread, but it works here too. Instead of back to the fence, have her pitch starting with her pitching arm a few inches from the fence (or wall or net or whatever). When she opens to K position, she will have a literal "lane" that she can see with her eyes between her body and the wall. She has to deliver through that lane before blocking it by closing her hip. Closing the hip after the ball leaves the hand is fine... actually preferred, as she'll need to get into fielding position.

I recommend catching her with a mask on! There will be deflections at first, but if she does it right she shouldn't hit the fence with any part of her body or the ball.

May 18, 2009
I just suggested wall work in a glove swimming thread, but it works here too. Instead of back to the fence, have her pitch starting with her pitching arm a few inches from the fence (or wall or net or whatever). When she opens to K position, she will have a literal "lane" that she can see with her eyes between her body and the wall. She has to deliver through that lane before blocking it by closing her hip. Closing the hip after the ball leaves the hand is fine... actually preferred, as she'll need to get into fielding position.

I recommend catching her with a mask on! There will be deflections at first, but if she does it right she shouldn't hit the fence with any part of her body or the ball.

Face the wall or fence and deliver the pitch? I took some photos today. What I think is a big problem may not be as bad as I thought or the work we've been doing is starting to pay off. Someone suggested a slow motion app for my phone. I might do that so I can really break down the pitch.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
She said arm a few inches from the fence or wall. How can she throw at the wall facing it from a few inches away? She will be throwing along the fence or wall to you from 43 feet away. The lane is between her belly and the fence or wall. Wear a mask because the ball might bounce off the wall or fence as it gets closer to you.

May 18, 2009
I still want her to come through a little. If she is to close to the fence or wall then I'm worried it will lead to arm curl instead of the body following behind the arm. When I have her stand with her back against the fence then it prevents her lead foot from going to the left of the power line and she can still whip the arm up to her left ear.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Face the wall or fence and deliver the pitch? I took some photos today. What I think is a big problem may not be as bad as I thought or the work we've been doing is starting to pay off. Someone suggested a slow motion app for my phone. I might do that so I can really break down the pitch.

Yes, if she's doing drills she'd be facing the fence. If she's pitching full motion, she'd start with her pitching arm shoulder near the fence, and then open up to facing it when she strides into K position. She doesn't have to be COMPLETELY parallel to the fence in her K position; between 45 degrees and parallel is OK. Slow motion video is great!

If you're seeing it affect her arm (curling, etc) point it out and don't let it get to far. Ideally she shouldn't let the wall affect her finish. When she starts with her shoulder a few inches from the fence, she should have a good foot or so of clearance when she opens up.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I wonder about the safety or doing the "wall drill" next to a (chain link?) fence. What happens if the pitcher catches a thumb or scrapes their hand on the fence?

I haven't yet tried this but it would be interesting to suspend two (unused) shower curtains 2 and a half feet apart with the opening towards the catcher. They would need to be parallel and higher off the ground so the hand doesn't go above the curtain. This would provide a true lane and the pitcher can't hit the fence/wall and risk injury. The pitcher could feel when she hits the curtain but it wouldn't be hard enough to be a problem. All that remains it to figure out how to suspend them. It could be easily hung from the net ceiling of a tunnel, though.

The pitcher would have immediate (and safe) feedback to swimming and stepping off the power line.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I wonder about the safety or doing the "wall drill" next to a (chain link?) fence. What happens if the pitcher catches a thumb or scrapes their hand on the fence?

I haven't yet tried this but it would be interesting to suspend two (unused) shower curtains 2 and a half feet apart with the opening towards the catcher. They would need to be parallel and higher off the ground so the hand doesn't go above the curtain. This would provide a true lane and the pitcher can't hit the fence/wall and risk injury. The pitcher could feel when she hits the curtain but it wouldn't be hard enough to be a problem. All that remains it to figure out how to suspend them. It could be easily hung from the net ceiling of a tunnel, though.

The pitcher would have immediate (and safe) feedback to swimming and stepping off the power line.

My favorites are a net in a batting cage or a padded wall. I've never had a pitcher come close to catching her hand on a fence though. Obviously use your judgement; if it's jagged and rusty, avoid it. Many newer fences have sort of a smooth, bulbous coating that I think would be pretty safe. The shower curtains are a fabulous idea if you've got the space to suspend them!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan