Scoring: Can a forceout be scored a hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
What if a batter hits the ball to the 2nd baseman with runners on 2nd and 3rd, both runners advance and the hitter is thrown out at 1st. Is it sac and no time at bat or is it just and rbi and a time at bat?

If the ball were hit to the outfield and caught it would have been a sac fly if the runner scored, Same if the ball was bunted, and the run scored, it would be scored a sac bunt. Sacs don't count as a time at bat.

Score it a sac 4-3? No time at bat?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2012
What if a batter hits the ball to the 2nd baseman with runners on 2nd and 3rd, both runners advance and the hitter is thrown out at 1st. Is it sac and no time at bat or is it just and rbi and a time at bat?

If the ball were hit to the outfield and caught it would have been a sac fly if the runner scored, Same if the ball was bunted, and the run scored, it would be scored a sac bunt. Sacs don't count as a time at bat.

Score it a sac 4-3? No time at bat?

No. 0-1 with an RBI.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Sacs don't count for ground balls. No idea why but they don't.

You say there is no such thing as a sac ground ball out. I think it is up to the official score keeper as to how a sac is called.
A bunt is a ground ball. A drag bunt is a ground ball. A slap is a ground ball.

So an accidental ball in play where it advances the runners isn't a sac if the hitter is thrown out at 1st if is the defenses only play?

I think if it is marked SAC 4-3. in the books, it wouldn't be a time at bat, in the over all running statistics.

Is there a written score keepers guide?

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Sacs don't count for ground balls. No idea why but they don't.

You say there is no such thing as a sac ground ball out. I think it is up to the official score keeper as to how a sac is called.
A bunt is a ground ball. A drag bunt is a ground ball. A slap is a ground ball.

So an accidental ball in play where it advances the runners isn't a sac if the hitter is thrown out at 1st if is the defenses only play?

I think if it is marked SAC 4-3. in the books, it wouldn't be a time at bat, in the over all running statistics.

Is there a written score keepers guide?

Aug 14, 2011
That's one that always got me as well, especially when you consider "intent" in the Sacrifice situations. As I learned it:

SAC bunt is only on an intentional bunt-- intentially sacrificing yourself to move a runner. No at bat charged- you did your job. This is a scorer's opinion, but I have seen many scorers mark a sac in this situation when they shouldn't. I think it's usually to help out their DD's batting average ;)

A normal groundout was hit with the intention to hit it harder for a base hit; if the lead runner scores, it was a an added benefit. But it's still an at bat.

A SAC fly is recorded when the ball is caught and a run scores, not just if the runners move(many people don't know this). The run has to score. The batter most certainly intended to hit for a base hit (that's the part that always got me- the intent) but is awarded the SAC, no at bat, because the ball aw hit sufficiently hard to protect all runners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand