Having fun with my wife

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sorry, no pictures, but she's watching DD at a tournament. I had to come home to check on the pets, will return first thing in a.m. and tag back in.

She knows little about softball, which is great, because we need a sane one. I'm dying to know how DD is doing. Wife says she thinks she got a hit. So after a few questions begging for descriptions, I e-mail again:

Are you SURE that ball was a HIT?

Read VERY closely and word for word. Let me know if you have questions! --

A base hit is credited to a batter when she advances to a base safely: 14.3.1 On a fair ball that settles on the ground or clears or touches the home-run fence before being touched by a fielder. 14.3.2 On a fair ball hit with such force or so slowly that more than a routine play is required to put out the batter-runner. 14.3.2.1 It should not be anticipated that an off-balance throw would retire a runner. A hit is credited to the batter even if the throw is wild. 14.3.2.2 When a ground ball is fielded and no throw or a late throw is made, a hit is credited to the batter unless a throw was not made or was made late be- cause of checking or holding a runner on base. 14.3.2.3 If a slowly hit ball or a hard-hit ball is deflected and eliminates a routine play for another fielder, a hit is credited to the batter. 14.3.2.4 When a fair-batted ball deflects off a fielder playing in front of first or third base, a hit is credited to the batter. 14.3.3 When a play is made on a lead base runner unsuccessfully and the batter would have been safe had a play been made on the batter. This includes bunts and running slaps. 14.3.4 When a fly ball is misjudged and the fielder does not recover in time to gain good position. 14.3.5 On a fair ball that takes an unnatural bounce so that the ball cannot be handled with ordinary effort or that bounces off the pitcher’s plate or any base (including home plate) before being touched by a fielder and at an angle such that it cannot be handled with ordinary effort. 14.3.6 On a ball that reaches the outfield untouched by an infielder, unless the ball should have been handled by an infielder with ordinary effort (e.g., ball between the legs). 14.3.7 On a fair ball that might have touched a fielder but was blown by the wind, lost in the sun or lights, or that falls to the ground because the fielder slips on the field or an object on the field (e.g., catcher’s mask, base, home plate, sprinkler). 14.3.8 On a fair line drive hit to the outfield that drops to the ground, if the outfielder is attempting to catch the ball on the run or if the outfielder had to cover considerable distance or make the catch running at a high rate of speed. A hit is credited even if the ball is touched. 14.3.9 On a fair batted ball not touched by a fielder that touches a runner or umpire if the official scorer believes the batter earned a hit (rather than a fielder’s choice). 14.3.10 On a fair batted ball that strikes a hat or glove thrown at it. 14.3.11 When no one covers the base or a fielder is late in covering the base. 14.3.12 If the official scorer judges the batter would have earned a base hit had runner interference not occurred. 14.3.13 If the ball is not touched because of confusion as to who should have fielded it. 14.3.14 When a fielder obstructs a preceding base runner. Note: Always give the batter the benefit of the doubt and score a hit when exceptionally good fielding fails to result in a putout. When in doubt, scoring should always award base hits instead of charging errors

Nov 29, 2009
When the wife would be a stuck at work I would text her what the DD did during the game.

I would text her something like 2 K, 0 BB, 0 hits when DD finished an inning in the circle. Invariably I would get back "????" after I've explained numerous times what they mean.

What really ticked the wife off was when I made her a cheat sheet with acronyms on it.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I was feeling really bad yesterday and needed to stay home while DW went to dd's HS game. We were texting back and forth throughout the game. She says to me "she just had an awesome play at 3rd"...... end of text?.... what the hell does that mean? So I continue to ask but her answers were more like she caught a ball and the got a girl who was off the base..... after dd got home, she explained the play to me... turns out while dd was at 3 on defence, the batter hit one to deep left field. The runner at 2nd tagged up and dd caught a great throw and tagged the runner for the final out of the inning. That is nothing like what I'd pictured in my head based on DW'S decription.....