Same pitcher different catching experiences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
FWIW - I have always thought that the concept of tipping the pitch location by the catcher setting up too early, especially in TB more fantasy than reality. The vast majority of the pitchers are not that consistent and very few hitters can exploit the information. There are bigger fish to fry.

The bottom line is that the pitcher will probably be more effective if your DD were to set up earlier for the pitch. That said what is more important for the catcher to be right or for the pitcher to be effective? After all what difference does it make if the hitters know the intended pitch location if the pitcher can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle? :)

I'd like to give 17 more thanks for this! One thanks surely isn't enough.

Nov 18, 2013
Everyone uses passed balls... you all know there is a stat called Wild Pitches correct? Most of the passed balls should actually be called wild pitches, honestly I consider a passed ball is a ball that a typical catcher can block. If the catcher has to move laterally to attempt a block or a ball over her head.... Wild Pitch. At 16A the majority of the pitches shouldn't bounce to the catcher. To blame a catcher if every other ball is in the dirt is horrible coaching IMO.

A passed ball is a ball the catcher should have caught with ordinary effort. If the ball hits the dirt first it's usually a wild pitch, even if the catcher should have blocked it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A passed ball is a ball the catcher should have caught with ordinary effort. If the ball hits the dirt first it's usually a wild pitch, even if the catcher should have blocked it.

A ball that goes between the catchers legs is always a passed ball in my book....

Jul 6, 2013
Everyone uses passed balls... you all know there is a stat called Wild Pitches correct? Most of the passed balls should actually be called wild pitches, honestly I consider a passed ball is a ball that a typical catcher can block. If the catcher has to move laterally to attempt a block or a ball over her head.... Wild Pitch. At 16A the majority of the pitches shouldn't bounce to the catcher. To blame a catcher if every other ball is in the dirt is horrible coaching IMO.

I 100% agree with you. The pitcher shouldn't be bouncing balls in. And I wasn't implying that the catcher should be to blame. Only that as a coach and father of a catcher that blocking balls is of paramount importance. Her job is to make the pitcher look good. Just like every other position on the field. If you're a college coach watching a game, and 10 balls end up at the fence, I'd be willing to bet that you're moving to the next field to find another catcher, regardless of how many were passed balls or wild pitches.

Nov 18, 2013
A ball that goes between the catchers legs is always a passed ball in my book....

As a pitchers Dad I’d agree with you. For official scoring, it varies by rule set. In ASA and USSSA a ball between the catchers legs would be a passed ball. In HS & PGF it depends where the ball hits and the official scorers judgement. In the NCAA any pitch in the dirt is wild.

NFHS (& PGF)
SECTION 6 PITCHER’S RECORD
ART. 1 . . . A wild pitch (F.P.) shall be charged to the pitcher when a ball legally delivered to the
batter is so high, or so low (including any pitch which touches the ground in front of home base),
or so far away from home base that the catcher does not stop or control it with ordinary effort and
the batter-runner advances to first base or any runner advances a base.

NCAA
SECTION 28—WILD PITCH
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is
so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the
ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances.
Any pitch in the dirt is wild.

USSSA
WILD PITCH. A wild pitch is a pitch that cannot be handled by the catcher with
ordinary effort.

ASA
WILD PITCH: A legally delivered pitch that the catcher cannot catch or stop and control
with ordinary effort.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As a pitchers Dad I’d agree with you. For official scoring, it varies by rule set. In ASA and USSSA a ball between the catchers legs would be a passed ball. In HS & PGF it depends where the ball hits and the official scorers judgement. In the NCAA any pitch in the dirt is wild.

NFHS (& PGF)
SECTION 6 PITCHER’S RECORD
ART. 1 . . . A wild pitch (F.P.) shall be charged to the pitcher when a ball legally delivered to the
batter is so high, or so low (including any pitch which touches the ground in front of home base),
or so far away from home base that the catcher does not stop or control it with ordinary effort and
the batter-runner advances to first base or any runner advances a base.

NCAA
SECTION 28—WILD PITCH
A wild pitch is charged to a pitcher when the pitch is
so high, wide or low that the catcher cannot handle the
ball with ordinary effort and at least one runner advances.
Any pitch in the dirt is wild.

USSSA
WILD PITCH. A wild pitch is a pitch that cannot be handled by the catcher with
ordinary effort.

ASA
WILD PITCH: A legally delivered pitch that the catcher cannot catch or stop and control
with ordinary effort.

If a catcher cannot stop a ball from going between her legs with ordinary effort, there is a spot on the bench next to me for her....

Jun 11, 2013
So any ball that bounces inside the C body is a passed ball? If it bounces and she blocks it but it bounces a few feet away and the runners advance it's still a PB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand