Open Workouts - Ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2023
The team I coach is working on open workouts once a week for the rest of the summer to prep for the fall. We realistically have 2 spots we need to fill for next season, with Catching being of focus. When we're doing these workouts, we generally try to keep our practices mostly fundamental, as I feel like that's the best way to get a good feel for players that are working out with us.

My question for the group would be to see how other teams handle these types of workouts. Do you tailor these types of things more towards the players that are trying out, or do you go about business as usual? We have a few big tournaments over the next month, and we'd like to not limit development of our team (we still have a team only practice once per week). We also want to make sure we don't wait until too late to prospect for a catcher.

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2013
A lot depends on your facility and number of players. If you have the right amount I would play some scrimmages. Preferably with the P and C staying in for a couple of innings so you can have quick changes. Unless you have some stud players it's nice to see who can really play.

Oct 4, 2018
Business as usual for us.

You kinda want them to see how a practice is run, and make their decision in part based on that. Avoiding a bait and switch, basically.

And as CanyonJoe mentions, I do think it's good for the new player to hit off the existing pitchers (in a scrimmage or part of the practice) so that the girl and the parents can use that to judge the quality of the pitching of the team they might join. I'm all for giving the new family as much info as possible so they make the right decision.

However, if the prospect is a pitcher or catcher, you need to try her out at those positions. So perhaps add in normal practice drills for those positions and have all girls on the team that play those positions do them. Make sense? Like if this girl is OF perhaps you do 15 minutes more OF drills than normal. But keep it a team practice.

Nov 18, 2015
And as CanyonJoe mentions, I do think it's good for the new player to hit off the existing pitchers (in a scrimmage or part of the practice) so that the girl and the parents can use that to judge the quality of the pitching of the team they might join. I'm all for giving the new family as much info as possible so they make the right decision.

We try to do this as well. Last year we didn’t need a full tryout, so especially with pitchers, we’d have one of our starting pitchers throw BP. Especially when the prospect isn’t yet at your team’s skill level - it’s a good way for the parents to see it for themselves. If they still have rose-colored glasses after a few swings and misses and weak grounders to first base, well, there’s only so much you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad