Same pitcher different catching experiences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My $0.02....my DD is a pitcher, so I am looking at this from the other side of the circle.

1) Who is calling pitches - the coaches or the catcher?
2) Some coaches call pitches to perceived batters weaknesses, while others call to their pitchers strengths.
3) If the pitcher is struggling to throw strikes, call to the pitchers strengths and let the defense help her out.
* if you have to, call time out, go out to the circle and ask the pitcher what she wants to throw as her "money pitch"
4) How good is the catcher at framing? A pitcher can get frustrated if she is not getting any borderline pitches.
5) Have you considered having your DD catch for pitching lessons to help build a repertoire with the pitcher?
6) Attending pitching lessons will also help the catcher get in sync with the pitching coach.
7) The catcher can learn what to watch for when things are not going according to plan and can walk to the circle and provide the same advice.
8) Some passed balls are inevitable, but a catcher needs to be ready to drop and block, especially on a called drop ball.
9) Passed balls should not go between the catchers legs....it does not instill confidence in the catchers abilities.
10) Hold the pitcher accountable. If you call a rise ball and it bounces in front of the plate, call timeout and go talk to the pitcher. If she is grooving pitches down the middle of the plate let the coaches know.
11) Be a field general. The catcher is the captain of the defense and needs to take charge. It is not a position for the timid.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
First off thanks for the insight and ideas.

My DD is calling the pitches. We (because of this forum) just spoke again about how she is calling them. She is gonna try and change this some. She has been calling what the pitcher wants her to call but not necessarily what she throws well. As far as framing and blocking, her framing is head and shoulders above our other catcher and I'm sorry to be that dad but it is what it is. Blocking she does well. I'm always onto her about improving and I'm not that dad who says she's the best. I will say, in the fore-mentioned game the umpire commented to her about how well she was doing. As I stated at the beginning I'm not talking about simple passed balls. I do not consider a ball over the head a simple passed ball. She had one ball that was very inside and in the dirt that moved a runner. She also had one get between her legs, but she said when the batter swung at the ball she lost it so it got through and there was no-one on base. The runs that were made from balls getting by her were from balls going over the batters head where she had to jump up to get them.

It's the end of the season but going to the pitchers lessons is something I have wanted to do but I have tried to stay out of saying anything to them and wanted to just work with my DD. I do very much agree and think going to those lessons would be very beneficial. I also think maybe she should limit some of the low inside pitches.
As far as the pitcher being a head case... I wouldn't say that by any means but for a long time my DD has talked about how frustrated the pitcher gets when she can't throw what she wants (is having a bad day). We'll see how things work this weekend.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...As far as the pitcher being a head case... I wouldn't say that by any means but for a long time my DD has talked about how frustrated the pitcher gets when she can't throw what she wants (is having a bad day). We'll see how things work this weekend.

So when your DD is catching the pitcher can't seem to find the zone even with a GPS throwing over your DD's head, in the dirt, etc. The pitcher by your description becomes a liability in the circle. However, when a different catcher gets behind the plate she "settles down". Sounds like the only difference between the catchers is that your DD sets up a tad later than the other catcher. But you say the pitcher is NOT a head case?

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
So when your DD is catching the pitcher can't seem to find the zone even with a GPS throwing over your DD's head, in the dirt, etc. The pitcher by your description becomes a liability in the circle. However, when a different catcher gets behind the plate she "settles down". Sounds like the only difference between the catchers is that your DD sets up a tad later than the other catcher. But you say the pitcher is NOT a head case?

I wouldn't want to say that she is a headcase. Definitely not as bad as many others I have seen. I'm really leaning toward she never learned to pitch to a spot and just looks for the glove, or the other catcher and the pitcher have played for awhile together and are more comfortable with one another.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I wouldn't want to say that she is a headcase. Definitely not as bad as many others I have seen. I'm really leaning toward she never learned to pitch to a spot and just looks for the glove, or the other catcher and the pitcher have played for awhile together and are more comfortable with one another.

When my DD first started pitching she would use the glove as a target to locate where to start her pitch (she could only throw a FB back then, so it worked pretty well). As she learned to throw movement pitches she had to make the adjustment to throwing the ball to a spot and the pitch should "end" where the catchers glove was located. You may want to ask the pitcher what is her "aim point" for each pitch and make sure the P and C are on the same page....

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
When my DD first started pitching she would use the glove as a target to locate where to start her pitch (she could only throw a FB back then, so it worked pretty well). As she learned to throw movement pitches she had to make the adjustment to throwing the ball to a spot and the pitch should "end" where the catchers glove was located. You may want to ask the pitcher what is her "aim point" for each pitch and make sure the P and C are on the same page....

I like this. Have to give it a try.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
FWIW - I have always thought that the concept of tipping the pitch location by the catcher setting up too early, especially in TB more fantasy than reality. The vast majority of the pitchers are not that consistent and very few hitters can exploit the information. There are bigger fish to fry.

The bottom line is that the pitcher will probably be more effective if your DD were to set up earlier for the pitch. That said what is more important for the catcher to be right or for the pitcher to be effective? After all what difference does it make if the hitters know the intended pitch location if the pitcher can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle? :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
FWIW - I have always thought that the concept of tipping the pitch location by the catcher setting up too early, especially in TB more fantasy than reality. The vast majority of the pitchers are not that consistent and very few hitters can exploit the information. There are bigger fish to fry.

The bottom line is that the pitcher will probably be more effective if your DD were to set up earlier for the pitch. That said what is more important for the catcher to be right or for the pitcher to be effective? After all what difference does it make if the hitters know the intended pitch location if the pitcher can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle? :)

Agreed that a catcher may have to adjust to accommodate individual pitchers; however, catchers should be taught to understand that setting up too early will significantly impact their pitchers' effectiveness against good hitters!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Pitcher does sound like a head case. Maybe she has never learned to throw to shoulders and knees and have the catcher move during wind up. On another note, and no offense, but there is zero excuse for passed balls in 16U A ball. I know it's tough blocking a half dozen balls every half inning, but it's 16U A ball. If she wants to have any chance at being a catcher at the next level, she has to be able to do it. Coaches don't care how many she has to block. Only that she has to block the ones that come to her.

Everyone uses passed balls... you all know there is a stat called Wild Pitches correct? Most of the passed balls should actually be called wild pitches, honestly I consider a passed ball is a ball that a typical catcher can block. If the catcher has to move laterally to attempt a block or a ball over her head.... Wild Pitch. At 16A the majority of the pitches shouldn't bounce to the catcher. To blame a catcher if every other ball is in the dirt is horrible coaching IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand