Rookie Ball vs T-Ball vs Machine pitch tournaments.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
My 6yr DD just finishing her first yr in t-ball. She has been around the game of softball because of her older dd has been playing for over 3 yrs now.

The problem is that we currently do not have a 8u fastpitch program in our area, so my choices for the fall are 1 more yr in t-ball or rookie ball. She is ready to play fastpitch. In the big city close to us they have 8u machine pitch tournaments. Should i consider that or just put her in rookie ball.

She wants to compete every time she steps on the clay. She knows the game for her age very well. Need some opinions on what might be the best thing to do. Thanks

Apr 9, 2012
We have found success in our league by graduating from Tball (6U) to Machine Pitch(8U) to Girls Pitch(no walks-4 balls then coach pitch) (10U). By 12U if not sooner we have skilled players and multiple (successful) tourney teams. By 10U the girls are hitting extremely well.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
We use a very similar system to what PGSAKen outlined except coach pitch instead of machine at 8U. We've also started using coach pitch at 6U with tee rescue which has been a huge success. It's amazing the level kids will rise to if you just raise the bar.

Don't know what you mean by rookie ball.

Dec 6, 2010
Florida
On her tball team they did coach pitch to the players they were able to hit it. Rookie ball is the same as machine pitch, but with a baseball instead of a 11in softball.

I think she is ready for the machine pitch tournaments, just don't knowif im ready for the expense with dd already in travel ball.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Pitching machines should be left in the batting cages. At 8U, get the girls practicing how to windmill pitch and incorporate live pitching with coach pitch during the regular season. You would be amazed at how these girls perform if you just spent a little time with them on learning how to play the game correctly. No reason to dumb down the game at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse