Rear Leg Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
lamphear_zpslaeythoy.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have some questions for the experts here:

1) Does pitch location affect how much the hips turn prior to contact? Do they turn less when you are hitting oppo? Do they turn more when you are pulling the ball?

2) What impact does this have on the rear foot at the point of impact? For those that believe in "toes to China" or "laces to pitcher", will the amount the hips turn affect the direction the toes are pointing? If you are hitting oppo is the rear foot in the same ending position as it is when you are pulling the ball?

34zypfn.jpg

Now, moving on to Joey Bats:

3) What was his intention with his rear foot? Did he intend to have his rear foot off the ground at the time of impact? Or did he intend to have it on the ground at impact but was slightly ahead on the pitch? Is this process (when the rear foot leaves the ground) also affected by pitch location as well as timing?

o09r94.jpg

Dec 4, 2013
Definitely some mechanical differences between these two swings, especially with the lower half. I'm curious what the result was of the second swing. She did a pretty nice job of keeping her hands in and getting the barrel around.

Double down the line....

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I have some questions for the experts here:

1) Does pitch location affect how much the hips turn prior to contact? Do they turn less when you are hitting oppo? Do they turn more when you are pulling the ball?

2) What impact does this have on the rear foot at the point of impact? For those that believe in "toes to China" or "laces to pitcher", will the amount the hips turn affect the direction the toes are pointing? If you are hitting oppo is the rear foot in the same ending position as it is when you are pulling the ball?

34zypfn.jpg

Now, moving on to Joey Bats:

3) What was his intention with his rear foot? Did he intend to have his rear foot off the ground at the time of impact? Or did he intend to have it on the ground at impact but was slightly ahead on the pitch? Is this process (when the rear foot leaves the ground) also affected by pitch location as well as timing?

o09r94.jpg

Not an expert.

#1 Yes..

#2" What impact does this have on the rear foot at the point of impact?" good question
For those that believe in "toes to China" or "laces to pitcher", will the amount the hips turn affect the direction the toes are pointing? If you are hitting oppo is the rear foot in the same ending position as it is when you are pulling the ball"

The back leg is tricky, if you lose coil, then the leg will recoil from the extension, and actually fly back away from the plate.
I think keeping it tightly coiled and in a good position, then it might be somewhat more predictable.

not an expert, but I am curious, and intrigued by how little I knew, and know about hitting.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not an expert.

#1 Yes..

#2" What impact does this have on the rear foot at the point of impact?" good question
For those that believe in "toes to China" or "laces to pitcher", will the amount the hips turn affect the direction the toes are pointing? If you are hitting oppo is the rear foot in the same ending position as it is when you are pulling the ball"

The back leg is tricky, if you lose coil, then the leg will recoil from the extension, and actually fly back away from the plate.
I think keeping it tightly coiled and in a good position, then it might be somewhat more predictable.

not an expert, but I am curious, and intrigued by how little I knew, and know about hitting.

#1 - I agree with you. Pitch location (inside, middle, out) is a factor.
#2 - I believe there is a correlation. The further a person's hips/PG turn, the more the rear foot will move. The amount of difference will depend on where the hips finish and that person's range of motion/flexibility from the hip flexors on down.

Personally I don't think the rear foot coming off the ground is any type of "absolute". Some very good hitters do it (Bautista, Cano). Some very good hitters do not do it (Bonds, Gonzalez). Some do it a little (Braun, Votto).

27x3zpv.jpg

23upytx.jpg

2m7he02.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA