Rear Leg Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
I was looking for some thoughts on rear leg swings. I remember seeing a vid of someone hitting front toss standing on only the rear leg throughout the swing. I believe the purpose was to promote the proper rearward barrel turn and hip action. Anyone have any experience or guidance on this subject?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I was looking for some thoughts on rear leg swings. I remember seeing a vid of someone hitting front toss standing on only the rear leg throughout the swing. I believe the purpose was to promote the proper rearward barrel turn and hip action. Anyone have any experience or guidance on this subject?

I know the gif you are speaking of. If you are a member of BBD you might want to ask mudvnine. I believe that was his DS. I don't want to speak for mud on the intent or thoughts being promoted. I believe if I did the thread would end badly. JMHO.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Maybe people can post swings of the snf drill....Probably an old thread on it at this web site.

SL

Dec 4, 2013
http://youtu.be/IUxxoKcDLH4

This is the first time we tried this drill. I am sure it is not the best example.
But you can get the jest for what we where trying to do.
I say working on the lower half drive of the swing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks SL. I am pretty familiar with the SnF drill but I was referring to something slightly different. The hitter actually balances on the rear leg and completes their swing while remaining on the rear leg. Kind of like the 1 legged golfer gif we have all seen....

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Spartans,

I started a similar thread on BBD several months ago looking for information concerning rear-legged hitting. Here is one of the responses that I received that seemed to explain it well. At least in my opinion. Others may disagree. There is a great deal of confusion between 2-legged hitting and rear-legged hitting and it can be frustrating at times to find answers.

"IMO, all of the different descriptions being used, are simply another way of saying that a hitter needs to "keep his weight back".

Coiling/uncoiling, pulsing/relaxing, one leg/two legs, resistance/releasing resistance...what's right, wrong, or indifferent with all of that as to what Bonds is actually doing is secondary to what really we should see him doing....and that's not shifting his weight forward until he swings the bat.

I'm sure we can all see that he does move forward in both those swings....

2cifg93.jpg

...but more importantly, how many can see that during that forward movement, he is not shifting his weight forward onto his front leg, but maintaining it over his rear one in both of them?

I know you talked about being balanced, but in either of those swings....IYO, when does he get to a "balanced", 50/50 weight distribution in both his legs?

I see him "sitting" with a greater amount of weight on his rear leg, and the swing takes his weight forward more to a 50/50 distribution onto he legs, but that might just be me.

Read more: Oops, there was an error! |

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's Miss Buttermakers hitter they were "making great progress" then I guess what he was teaching them became terrible all of a sudden. So I guess good for them if they now have a better way.

The Ragin Cajuns drill I gifed is the one legged drill.
ullhands_zps615df137.gif

Thanks RHC. I never took notice to the fact that she was only using one leg during this drill. I was focused on the barrel path. The other thread was the only one legged drill I could remember. That is besides the bench drill of TMs that was recently posted.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here are the gifs/swings:
2j0kodx.jpg

16732xe.jpg

Here is Mud thoughts on the drill:
They've each been posted multiple times by several different posters. The swing on the right is indeed a "dry swing", and kind of a combination of two drills....the "one-legged" drill, and the "Stretch and Fire" (SnF) drill that you may have heard of.

The idea behind the "one-legged" drill is to show a hitter that he does not have to get on the lead leg or "Shift THEN Swing" in order to swing the bat that most kids do, and is what "leadoff's" son is also doing for the most part.

As sort of an added bonus, because they're subconsciously trying to maintain their dynamic balance with the goal of swinging that bat, and not falling onto the lead leg....they are also inadvertently using the barrel to help with the resistance of that forward movement, and as such, they automatically get the barrel coming from "behind and through" the ball that I look for in a barrel path, and not "down and to" the ball is the case with many developing hitters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma