Rear Hip Isolation - Resistance Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Having the bat "flat" here implies a high pitch - notice how high the tee is. You can see the bat is parallel with my shoulders, but I prefer to think of it as perpendicular to my spine. Lateral tilt of the shoulders will adjust for lower pitches... just a matter of getting things on plane............Tewks

O.K. got it.

Thanks

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
If I could side bar on the original video and then you boys can get back at it -

First off thanks for posting the video. That is an excellent contribution to help us "Discuss fastpitch" whether people agree or not.

My 14 year old dd gets her hands way out there ahead of the hips so I am very interested in the drill you are showing. Especially because she is battling as a Freshman to make and start varsity on one of the top HS programs in the top division in our state. Coach likes her swing off tee and machine during try out week but is of the school that wants line drives (don't we all) and does not want it up in the air or a noticible uppercut. She does have a tendency to hit looping liners (vs pop ups) verses line shots. I told her one possible reason is the lack of rear hip action. Basically if they stop and the upper body keeps going her POC is often further out front and the bat plane will be arcing further up. On the other hand if she can get better hip action i think she'll create better lag and a better POC. Thoughts??

Bleow is a swing that I've posted before. Good blast, probably 200 feet but some things in the swing we have been working on.

Any thoughts Tewks and others as they relate to this thread?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YIzbX0D1-x4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YIzbX0D1-x4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Tewks ... take note of the barrel path plus the touch of bat drag.

I think you know how I would address this.

HollySpano.gif

Oct 12, 2009
Here's another Dixon quote that refutes your contention that he advocates early bat speed.

On page 15 of "The Exceptional Player" he writes...

"The muscles in the arms will guide the bat. The bat will be swung by the torso...A 200 lb. body swings the bat not 20 lb. arms."

There's no early bat speed if the bat is being swung by the torso. Instead, the bat rotates with the torso and then whips out into the path of the ball when the bat head is released (swung).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CO, I have correctly quoted Jim Dixon's work which refuted what you wrote earlier. Apparently someone feels the need to delete accurate information. Perhaps the moderator can explain their actions. In the mean time, all I can assume is that accurate representations of Jim Dixon's work are not appreciated by the moderator of this message board ... and I'll therefore refrain from further correcting your misrepresentations of his work.

R

RayR

HollySpano.gif

Watch the lead arm. IMO, it staightens as the lower body fires. This locks the bat to the shoulders. It's a good swing, but with a little work on the front arm she could be a really good hitter.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
HollySpano.gif

Watch the lead arm. IMO, it staightens as the lower body fires. This locks the bat to the shoulders. It's a good swing, but with a little work on the front arm she could be a really good hitter.

MTS, what you are describing, IMO, is that the hand pivot point is reasonable. That is certainly a positive attribute of a good swing.

IMO, 'good' is a relative term, and this swing could be made much better.

Notice the barrel path of this young lady. In the GIF below, focus on the tip of the barrel and track it as the video progresses. To me this is somewhat revealing of her "actions under the hood" ... and to me she resembles a "knob puller".

HollySpano_BarrelPath.gif

Now look at someone like Cystal and track the tip of her bat ... you'll see a completely different barrel path, and something, that from my perspective, is in the pattern.

CrystalBustos_Olympics_BarrelPath.gif

To me, these two hitters are using completely different "actions under the hood" to bring the barrel to contact.

Oct 12, 2009
CO, I have correctly quoted Jim Dixon's work which refuted what you wrote earlier. Apparently someone feels the need to delete accurate information. Perhaps the moderator can explain their actions. In the mean time, all I can assume is that accurate representations of Jim Dixon's work are not appreciated by the moderator of this message board ... and I'll therefore refrain from further correcting your misrepresentations of his work.

The quote from page 15 makes it very clear what Dixon does and doesn't believe, which I assume is why it was left there.

It's clear that he doesn't believe in early bat speed or any early action by the arms. Instead, the whole focus on his book is on the body, meaning the hips, core, and torso.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Notice the barrel path of this young lady. In the GIF below, focus on the tip of the barrel and track it as the video progresses. To me this is somewhat revealing of her "actions under the hood" ... and to me she resembles a "knob puller".

Thanks FFS. Your dots on the Busto's swing my help me connect some dots on my DD's swing. Would the Busto's swing start the same on an inside pitch and where is the adjustment then on the inside pitch. More rotation in hip and shoulder? Earlier contact point?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves