Rear Hip Isolation - Resistance Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Interesting that you draw the limit at 4 players/hour for instruction. I do the same. What I found was that when the number was above 4 players/hr, that it turned into more of a 'hitting practice' versus 'hitting instruction'. Sure ... I've done group & team sessions to give an overall hitting program ... but when I've done instructional 10+ week hitting clinics with 6 & 8 players, I found myself more stressed with 6 & 8 players to get the instruction in that I wanted to get in. For me, sessions with 2-4 players work well in terms of getting the instruction across.

The NCAA used to limit four players to one coach in the off-seasons. I don't know what other colleges called them, but our coaches always called them "Four & One's" which is what we call them. Let's you give each player attention, get a ton of reps with proper rest, and there is a competition factor that starts coming in. The players push each other and they learn from each other.

Aug 2, 2008
Tewks,
Sent you a pm.

The couple of videos you have posted there is alot of bat movement before the swing is started, and kept hearing you mention triangle. Can you explain that please.

Also in the hip isolation drill the bat is parallel with the ground at the top of the shoulder, is that the position you want at that part of the swing, or is it purely a hip drill?

Thanks, nice to see another person with expierence take the time to help. You and hitter are currently a good combination for someone like me.

Mike

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Tewks,
Sent you a pm.

The couple of videos you have posted there is alot of bat movement before the swing is started, and kept hearing you mention triangle. Can you explain that please.

Also in the hip isolation drill the bat is parallel with the ground at the top of the shoulder, is that the position you want at that part of the swing, or is it purely a hip drill?

Thanks, nice to see another person with expierence take the time to help. You and hitter are currently a good combination for someone like me.

Mike

Having the bat "flat" here implies a high pitch - notice how high the tee is. You can see the bat is parallel with my shoulders, but I prefer to think of it as perpendicular to my spine. Lateral tilt of the shoulders will adjust for lower pitches... just a matter of getting things on plane.

Another thread should be started for the "triangle", because I'm sure there will be a lot of debate on that.

Glad to contribute. It makes me a better instructor when I am forced to explain this stuff in greater detail!

Sep 17, 2009
Hi Tewks, I'm also curious about the "triangle" versus the "box" and also am trying to understand how/why you flatten your hands so early in this drill, it feels like flattening/dropping hands to meet plane of pitch iis something we try to cure some younger girls of doing (ie, hand-drop, bat-drag, etc)-- so I'm trying to understand good flat versus bad flat. Tks.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, still a work in progress. There were permit issues, but its coming along now. We set up our programs with 4 players per hour. The mirror is a station. Next best thing to video.

At Evangel University they put the mirrors on a wheeled cart so they can be moved to the hitters or pitchers work station.

When doing clinics there it is very helpful to take the hitter to a mirror and show them so we drive home the point see it, feel it and fix it.

The little flip phone cameras work well also and Crystl has started using one as it is quick easy and just fits in the pocket.

Film a hitter show them and move on to the next to get your points across quickly so everyone gets the hands on.

We try to limit no more than 5 per station during clinics. I explain to the kids I had an older brother and sister and they taught me what my parents would tolerate and what they would not and I considered them the pioneers.

By the time I was 14 I knew what I could get away with....so we tell the kids when we are instructing someone in the group pay attention and learn from each others mistakes so the group will learn faster than what the individual can learn on their own.

Pay attention to the detail and actions of the person hitting and look where the ball is going and why is it going left or right if we are hitting up the middle.

Again the power of the group will usually make a better decision than one individuals decision has been my experience as they will start teaching each other and do not want to fall behind and will stay more focused for the most part.

Straightleg is a building inspector so he may be able to help you with some questions....he helped me put my hitting area together!

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi Tewks, I'm also curious about the "triangle" versus the "box" and also am trying to understand how/why you flatten your hands so early in this drill, it feels like flattening/dropping hands to meet plane of pitch iis something we try to cure some younger girls of doing (ie, hand-drop, bat-drag, etc)-- so I'm trying to understand good flat versus bad flat. Tks.

RichK, I can't speak for Tewks, but the reason this is done in the Deltoid Drill is to isolate the feel/action to the rear hip/leg. It's not a complete swing sequence ... it's an isolation drill.

When I first performed Tewks drill I initially struggled. What I thought I saw him doing, and what he was actually doing ... in terms of "actions under the hood", were different. Finally when I got it right I felt the feeling that he was after ... and to me, it was the same feeling that I get from the Deltoid Drill.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Notice when Tewks flattens his hands, his hands do not drop or move forward. They basically stay in one place. This creates a very strong hand pivot point. Most fastpitch players I see move their hands forward and down as their back elbow lowers. Anytime a player's hands move towards the pitcher, they give up precious distance and time.

Oct 12, 2009
This creates a very strong hand pivot point. Most fastpitch players I see move their hands forward and down as their back elbow lowers. Anytime a player's hands move towards the pitcher, they give up precious distance and time.

Can you show an example of a weak hand pivot point?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff