"Protecting" a pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Then he needs to tell her. If that's truly the case, he now has his #1 pitcher considering not pitching. Great work coach!

If she's not good enough to start at another position he needs to let her know so she can work at it.

Two years ago I never batted (due to my size) I hated it. Yes I struggled slightly when pitching next dig. (I didn't strike them out. They hit me.) This year, with a new club I batted every game but the GF. Guess which season I enjoyed more? (I also went from not batting to being in front of a runner whose smallest hit was a three bagged ;-) )

Feb 17, 2011
DD is #1 pitcher on HS and TB team and both coaches have moved her to playing first base instead of third when not on mound. She is at the top of batting for both teams. I have stressed to TB coach to bring in another pitcher as we had DD and SS-#2 pitcher hurt in the same inning while batting... so you never know. This does smack of placating others on the team with playing time IMO.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Sounds like maybe someone is looking through rose colored glasses...common occurrence among softball parents. If we don't field or bat a girl, it's because she would be a detriment to do so in that particular game.

And if YOU "DO" field or bat a girl, it is probably because it is your '99 DD (or one of her friends) and you are still coaching her team because that is the only way she can get some playtime.

Now, I don't really believe that, but see how the shoe doesn't feel so good when it is on the other foot . Please don't lob out accusations or criticize me or my daughter when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I got rid of my rose colored glasses years ago.

Mar 15, 2010
On DD's current team when in bracket play #1 and #2 pitcher only pitch. If #1 is pitching #2 sits and vice versa. In pool and friendlies pitchers play other positions and always bat. This is 16U and in discussions with parents on other teams this seems to be a fairly common occurrence in my area.

Jun 8, 2011
On DD's current team when in bracket play #1 and #2 pitcher only pitch. If #1 is pitching #2 sits and vice versa. In pool and friendlies pitchers play other positions and always bat. This is 16U and in discussions with parents on other teams this seems to be a fairly common occurrence in my area.

This is common and the way I see it around here. I do see teams play #2 and #3 in the outfield while #1 is on the rubber.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Last weekend on Saturday morning #2 pitcher is playing first and has a collision on the baseline hyperextending her elbow. She didn't play for the rest of the weekend. If it happened in a qualifying tournament it would have been devistating to the team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
But, all of these accidents that "could" happen, could happen to the #1 and #2 catchers, also. By the way, most girls have never been taught to play first base correctly (not saying that is the case for Coach n Dad). They run and put their foot on the bag and wait for the throw. Instead of waiting on the throw and touching the bag. Also, they need to know not to extend their glove arm into the path of the runner on a bad throw. Let those throws go.

Mar 13, 2010
They run and put their foot on the bag and wait for the throw.

Yup. I know very few first base who do that. I've had arguments with kids over it because 'no-one else teaches it like that' They find it easier to put their glove leg back first.

Oct 22, 2009
Mine, pitched, played OF and SB, hit and ran---NO SLIDING!

Senior year of high school while covering 3rd base she collides with the runner---out for the season!

Accidents will happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516